We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

I will be in NOLA for one day in October and have a lon list of things I want to do. I know I cannot physically do them all in one day. I just want a taste and plan to return but want to but want to make most of my visit. I need suggestions of what to pass up and what to definitley see.

Cemetery tour or on our own? I am a photo buff but do not want to get mugged or miss out on all of the historic info. do I take a tour and then go explore on our own? Which is the best cemetery?

Tour of lower 9th ward? Found a non-profit that offers tours.

Algiers ferry to see the skyline of NOLA?

Listen to Zydeco?

Pick up some street art in NOLA?

What are the best souvenirs? Are the beads like the $1 store cheapies? Where is the best place for a voodoo doll?

Here are some finer details...We want to have a decent cocktail and a decent meal without breaking the bank. Who has the best happy hours?

I would rather use public transportation but can the streetcar get me to where I need to get to?

I live in an old house with antiques, so I do not want to pay to see and old house with old things. I would rather spend the money on a worthwhile tour or food and drinks.

I may sound pickey but since I am so limited I want to get more bang for my buck.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

I think I would prefer to stay in the FQ and take your recommendations, however, I dont know if I am necessarily keen on taking a bus tour. I think I would rather hit one cemetery tour and then spend the rest of the time free. I have a FQ walking tour book given to me by a friend.

Can you recommend a good walking tour that hits the cemeteries? Which cemetery is the best one? Which is the best tour of just the cemeteries?

Silly question...I saw another forum post that said a good souvenir are beads. What is so special about them and cant you just get them at the local dollar store?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

If you download the free GoNOLA app for your phone, they have 4 different walking tours available - one is even narrated by John Goodman.

I haven't found a cemetery tour app yet (opportunity here people). Also, if you download the free OffBeat Magazine app - it gives you information about who is playing where at what time by day.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

I booked this tour based on advice from this forum.....haven't taken it yet, so I can't give a review yet!

saveourcemeteries.org/st-louis-cemetery-no-1…

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Beads are associated with New Orleans because of Mardi Gras. Sure you can buy beads at a dollar store but you will definitely find a better selection in New Orleans and they are a fun and inexpensive souvenir.

15. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 14, 2013