We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

I will be in NOLA for one day in October and have a lon list of things I want to do. I know I cannot physically do them all in one day. I just want a taste and plan to return but want to but want to make most of my visit. I need suggestions of what to pass up and what to definitley see.

Cemetery tour or on our own? I am a photo buff but do not want to get mugged or miss out on all of the historic info. do I take a tour and then go explore on our own? Which is the best cemetery?

Tour of lower 9th ward? Found a non-profit that offers tours.

Algiers ferry to see the skyline of NOLA?

Listen to Zydeco?

Pick up some street art in NOLA?

What are the best souvenirs? Are the beads like the $1 store cheapies? Where is the best place for a voodoo doll?

Here are some finer details...We want to have a decent cocktail and a decent meal without breaking the bank. Who has the best happy hours?

I would rather use public transportation but can the streetcar get me to where I need to get to?

I live in an old house with antiques, so I do not want to pay to see and old house with old things. I would rather spend the money on a worthwhile tour or food and drinks.

I may sound pickey but since I am so limited I want to get more bang for my buck.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

At what times would your "day" begin and end? What day of the week? Where will you be lodging for the nights before and after your "day"?

Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Have you been to NOLA before. One day is not a long time. Are you spending the night. If so what part of town. I would stay in the FQ and visit Bourbon Street, French Market, Jackson Square, Marigny and Frenchmen Street. I would skip tours and the ferry.You can find all kinds of cheap souvenirs at the French Market. Acme, Felix's, El Gato Negro, Napoleon House and Coops are nice places that are inexpensive. Enjoy your visit.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

We buy our voodoo dolls at Jamie Hayes gallery on Chartres St. Check out his website

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,803 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Yes, definitely stay in the FQ. The Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co gives a really good walking tour of the FQ and also a great cemetery/voodoo tour. The tours last a couple hours and you will learn a lot - definitely a good use of your time to take one.

Napoleon House is one of my favorite bars in New Orleans. If you want po boy for lunch, head over to Johnny's Po Boys.

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

check out this site for some 1/2 off deals I live 1hour away and get thing from this site to save a few bucks on our trips. nolacc.neworleans-deals.com/index.php…

Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Definitely spend the entire day in the French Quarter. Please note that most of the activities listed are essentially free,so that how much money you spend depends on you. Do NOT plan a tour. If you get bored, there are plenty of storefront tour stores that would be glad to sell you pne.

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.

Level Contributor
458 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

If you want to see as much of the city as possible I highly recommend a VIP City Tour. Costs about $45 and lasts 2 hours (not cheap but well worth it). We signed up at the Welcome Center at Royal & Canal or you can book on-line. It's a small bus tour that will take you on the outskirts of the FQ, through the 9th Ward, Jackson Square, Garden District, over to the Lake, with a 10-15 minute stop at a cemetery (don't get to walk around on your own but get a nice history lesson and to see a few tombs). Was a great way to see lots of the city (more than you could possibly walk in a day), get some history from a local guide, who also gives out great tips for food and drinks. I don't know that you'd get a real appreciation of the cemetery without some kind of tour. Make sure to walk back to Jackson Square as previously suggested for beignets, St. Louis Cathedral, and artists. Cheapest souvenirs were in the French Market, but I didn't think that place was all that great and wouldn't make a point of going back again. Spend the rest of the time wandering the FQ. The day we were there we saw tons of 3 for 1 drink specials early in the afternoon.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Here's a Groupon deal from Southern City Tours www.groupon.com/deals/southern-style-tours-9… Hurry because there's not much time before it's gone. Here's their website: http://www.southernstyletours.com/ Several of us have taken advantage of this deal when they offered it earlier. I was very happy with it and from talking to others the tour can vary a little as to what you'll see depending on your guide, but good reviews in general. There will be stops at St. Louis Cemetery No. 3 and the Ninth Ward among other places. I would book Muriels for dinner. The prices are decent, the food is good and it's fancy without being over the top. There's also not a better place to enjoy a drink than from their balcony overlooking Jackson Square. You also will appreciate the central location.

If you want to read more about the various cemetaries and see some pictures of each, here's my favorite website about them. http://www.nolacemeteries.com/ Scroll down a ways to see the list of cemeteries.

My favorite sandwich in New Orleans is the All That Jazz from the Verti Marte grocery and deli at 1200 Royal St. Share it and eat while you're walking toward Cafe Du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait.

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

We are arriving early in the morning on Saturday October 5th. We are staying in Gulf Shores and making the trek over. We will not be staying in NOLA.

I know one day isnt enough but this is all the trip will allow...this time around. We may make a stop on our return home.

Thanks for all of the info and links. So much to decide.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day NOLA: Itinerary Suggestions on a budget

Hey, even 5 minutes in New Orleans is better than not being there at all. :)

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question