We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help from a local

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,528 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
need help from a local

My husband and I are coming next week for the French Quarter fest and have found very good rates at the Block-Keller house. I am not familiar with the neighborhood. Can any of the locals tell me anything about this particular b&b and the current status of the neighborhood where it is located? I think it is in-mid city but I'm not sure. Also, does anyone know the hours of operation for the Canal Street streetcar?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help from a local

Not much in MidCity right now. You'll have to travel for restaurants, bars and attractions.

The streetcars on Canal are running again on a very limited basis and they aren't 24 hours. Check norta.org for more info!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help from a local

I agree with Cajunwave - I actually live in mid-city, and although I love it, he is right, you will have to travel for all the sightseeing and most of the restaurants if you stay in mid-city. The money you spend on traveling and parking in the FQ may be better spent for a more convenient hotel. If you do stay in mid-city, I recommend Lola's, Vega, and Cafe Degas for restaurants (although none of these are within walking distance).

new orleans...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help from a local

That is funny. I know Tommy and Brian who own the bed and breakfast. They are extremely kind. The area where you are staying, while it is not within walking distance of all the big sites, you can take a taxi and get to the French Quarter within 8 minutes. Too bad the streetcars are not running every few minutes. Make sure you visit uptown, Audubon Park, and the Garden Dist. in addition to the French Quarter.

As for the B & B. You can expect an old house, turn of the century, with reproduction, Victorian furniture style.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help from a local

Well that is true - you could cab it and be in the heart of the FQ in no time. It just depends on what you are looking for. Good to know about the owners - I will recommend the Block-Keller house to people from now on! I always wondered whether it was nice, but didn't ever know anyone who stayed there!