We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

Winter Springs...
Level Contributor
773 posts
52 reviews
Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

Has anyone taken this cruise? If so do you recommend booking several days ahead or should we be ok to book the day before? Our group will be in town in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
122 reviews
1. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

Day before should be no problem...there is not a lot to see but its interesting tidbits on the battle etc. and the ranger can make it very interesting if they are a good speaker...house isn't much..story of the battle is pretty good...they do a reenactment in January each year.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

We enjoyed both the trip downriver and the tour itself. The Rangers narrate and answer questions at the battlefield, but you really don't have a lot of time there. There are restrooms and a gift shop on site.

I would say it is definitely worth the price, but they do have a coupon in the Entertainment Book- 2 for 1 admission through Creole Queen. It's a good idea generally to order the Entertainment Book ahead if you plan on visiting even a couple of Museums in New Orleans, as the book will quickly pay for itself. At this late date, it will probably be on special, too, and they mailed it to me w/i a week as I recall. Even has a few French Quarter Restaurants!

Suggest you wait till you get to New Orleans to sign on for this and most tours due to weather issues. This one didn't look that busy to me when we went early in the Spring. Probably wouldn't be pleasant standing around Chalmette Battlefield in the rain!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

Chalmette is a nice tour and has a lot of history. Be sure to read the history of the Battle before you take the tour. There's not a lot there other than the battlefield and museum. But the history is outstanding and one that anyone should be proud to take part in.

Winter Springs...
Level Contributor
773 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

Thanks everyone. I never book tours in advance but since I am going with a couple of Nola newbies who wanted to book this tour months ago I just wanted some reassurance. I don't think they would be too happy with me if we got there and couldn't make the trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
5. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

CJ - The Entertainment Book has a coupon for $10 off the Battlefield Cruise. You can order the book today for $8.99 with free shipping. The coupon is good for up to 4 adults, so you can save $40, making the book at least a $30 value if if you use no other coupons.

We really liked the battlefield cruise. It's awesome to be on the river and my husband is a history nut. Only downside is we did not get long enough in Chalmette. On our next trip, we took a cab to the battlefield and spent a few hours there. It's a really nice park with a walking loop, which also gives you the opportunity to spend some time at the river and the cemetary.

Enjoy!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

Just a reminder - if you're buying an Entertainment Book (or almost anything online really), go through a cash back site to save some extra money (10% in case of Entertainment Book). I'm pretty sure I can't give referral links here, but let me know if you'd like details.

7. Re: Creole Queen Chalmette Battlefield Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, July 17, 2013