We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

I have never had one but I have read everybody raving about them and now I'm curious! Is it sweet, sour? Where is the absolute best one you have ever had? What does it taste like? I know I could google this, but I like real people's opinions way better! Thanks!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

I thought everyone tasted them at Sazerac Bar during the first Flok Cocktail Tour. Same place we tried the Ramos Gin Fizz.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

I only had the Ramos Gin Fizz. Remember the bartender was so sweet he split one into two glasses for Herm and me. I never tried the sazerac. That was dumb!

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

Hi Deny! I didn't like the Sazerac because it tastes like whiskey, and I don't like whiskey :). Hubs enjoyed it, but he's a scotch drinker. BTW, we just got back from Germany/Holland and there's a Lush store in Amsterdam-of course I thought of you and Herm! Only 15 days til we're back in NOLA!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

Only 15 days???? You must be bouncing off the walls TakeMe! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time while you're there too! Lush over there too huh? You gotta love that! Did you enjoy a Lush bathie or two?

I kinda thought it was a whiskey based drink. Do they have a mix they pour the whiskey into? Maybe I should stick with my hurricanes and margaritas!!!!!

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

I honestly don't know what's in a Sazerac, but I couldn't get past a sip :). EGN margaritas are more on my wavelength, as are Pimm's cups and Ramos Gin Fizzes. I'm planning to try the rainstorm this trip (do I have that right?)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

The Rainstorm at Pat's is delicious! You'll have to let me know what you think! Just in case this is what's in it!

Pat O'Briens Rainstorm

Vodka mixed with Melon Liqueur, Coconut Rum, Pineapple Juice and Sour Mix, topped with Blue Curaçao.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

well I DID Google it...and here tiz:

The drink is some combination of cognac or rye whiskey, absinthe or Herbsaint, and Peychaud's Bitters.

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

Deny - it mostly just tastes like rye whiskey, which is a slightly, almost spicier?, version of whiskey. Everyone always uses the word spicy to describe it but I think it just has more other flavors to balance out the strong "whiskey-ness" so I've always preferred a rye.

They take a sugar cube (a single one, usually) dash some bitters on it, muddle it, and put about 2 ounces of whiskey over it. Some places will add water to dilute and some will not. It also has an an absinthe (or Herbsaint) rinse on the glass it's served in (so they just coat the glass with it and dump out the excess.)

To me: a Sazerac is a perfect sipping drink if you actually enjoy whiskey. It has a little sweetness and the absinthe adds a little extra. I can't imagine getting them in go cups and chugging them in the heat, though. :)

New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

If you've ever had a good (not too sweet) old fashioned, imagine that, with a hint of cough syrup (the medicinal flavor of the bitters). IT tastes better than it sounds <g>, and definitely a sipping drink.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Does The Drink Sazerac Taste Like?

Wow Alicia! Thank you for that beautiful explanation! You actually made it sound like something I could try (at least once anyway)!

Thank you too Ashtons! Not that it would prolly ever come close to your awesomely delicious iced tea! Iced tea...for me...go figure : )