We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wednesday at the Square

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Wednesday at the Square

Lafayette Square. I ran across this while researching our trip. Food vendors. An artist village. Ivan Neville (?).

Sound interesting. Are there any problem areas in walking between Lafayette Square and the Hotel St Marie after dark?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wednesday at the Square

Wednesdays in the Square are magnificent!!! Ivan Neville is a few weeks away, if I recall the lineup correctly. The music is going an hour later this time around. Usually ended at 7pm, going to 8 now. The best thing you can do is get in early, around 4:30 to find a spot before all the offices let out. This is like a huge outdoor happy hour for the locals. Buy a bunch of tickets and get a couple of drinks initially. Hit the food vendors with your tickets between shows, and then get more drinks. No need for dinner after a night of this. No problem walking back to your hotel. Piece of cake. This is a free event. You cannot bring in any outside food or drinks. Please support the event with a few purchases.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wednesday at the Square

This is a very popular event for locals and always well-attended.

http://www.wednesdayatthesquare.com/

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wednesday at the Square

I looked at a Google map and to me it looks too far for walking after dark, but I'm sure somebody that actually knows can confirm/deny my thoughts.

It really does look like fun though - I'd consider just calling a cab when you're done.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,048 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wednesday at the Square

For me, there's a difference between "after dark" and "late at night".

The concerts end at 8:00 p.m. and the sun will have barely set. It's a very popular event, so there will be a couple of thousand other people leaving the square. Leave the square and walk down St. Charles, I can't imagine having any issues at 8:00 at night!

Now would I walk it alone at 1:00 in the morning, that would be a different story.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wednesday at the Square

The most dangerous thing about Wednesdays in the Square is the booth serving super spicy andouille on-a-stick. That little snack sent me to the local urgent care and sidelined me for four days of my six day trip. You have been warned! Otherwise, I wouldn't be worried about walking back after the show. You can always stop at Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar on the way back as they may have their crawfish boil going on Wednesdays.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wednesday at the Square

Thank you, thank you.....YAY!

We get in on Wednesday mid-day and I had originally planned happy hour at Antoines for dinner (with coupon mentioned on this forum), but this sounds more up HusbandDog and my alley!

Anyone heard the Dirty Dozen Brass Band?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wednesday at the Square

I think everyone who lives here has has heard the Dirty Dozen Brass Band! You're going to have a great time! Look for Lou and I if you get a chance. We're usually on the right side of the statue...lounging in a portable green and white striped love seat and drinking rum!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wednesday at the Square

As another poster said...go down st. charles and cross Canal..no problem with all the people walking around when the festivities end.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wednesday at the Square

Diver Drew, I am assuming that you got food poisoning from your andouille-on-a-stick. Tell us more. Did you have to go to the emergency room? Which hospital? Did you get good medical care? Was it covered by trip insurance?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wednesday at the Square

Watsup, it was not food poisoning. Here's an excerpt from my trip report and a link to the whole story, if you're interested:

"In New Orleans, andouille sausage is spicy. When it’s specifically called out as being ‘spicy’ andouille, one should take notice. And when it’s named ‘super spicy’ andouille, run like heck away from there and do not look back. In my opinion, this sausage should have required me to sign a waiver."

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k458025…