We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe neighborhoods

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
safe neighborhoods

We are looking to visit New Orleans over a weekend around end April.

Although my first preference is a French Quarter / Convention center hotel, i find them either fully booked or very expensive. As an alternative, I was thinking of staying outside the french quarters in a good hotel with free parking; driving down to french quarters and using a garage during the day.

Please suggest the safe neighborhoods outside of French Quarters / Convention center for my hotel.

thanks !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe neighborhoods

Barney--Have you thought about B&B's? Check this site and see if you can find something there! Good luck!

http://www.bbnola.com/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe neighborhoods

Room rates at Prince Conti in the FQ are over $200.00 a night arriving on April 27th. If you arrive on April 30th they are $89.00 a night. Can you move your dates around. I would stay in the FQ if possible. Enjoy your trip.

dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safe neighborhoods

My dates are 21 april to 23 april..

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe neighborhoods

Those dates are between the French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest, so I would have thought that there would be a lull that week.

How about something in the Marigny neighborhood or uptown close to the St, Charles street car line?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe neighborhoods

Pbarney..........try to change your dates. The best way to figure out when to visit NOLA is look for cheap room rates. Once you find low room rates and choose a date then you can use those room rate savings on drinking and dining. Rooms can vary from under a $100.00 a night to being over $200.00 a night easily depending on demand.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe neighborhoods

"My dates are 21 april to 23 april.."

There is a large medical convention in town on those dates, so room rates are high.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe neighborhoods

It's worth the extra dollars to stay in the French Quarter or in surround neighborhoods, if you can swing it.

As far as "safe" (a very overused term on this board), I have no problem recommending the FQ, Marigny, Warehouse District/CBD, Mid City, Algiers Point or Garden District. Each occasionally has crime but that defines nearly every neighborhood in the world. Overall each is fine for tourists.

Edited: 2:21 pm, March 01, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: safe neighborhoods

B&B's aren't any cheaper.

9. Re: safe neighborhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:55 pm, June 12, 2013