We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

Calgary
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

Hi All,

We just got our tickets to the Jazz Fest and it will be our first trip to New Orleans. My partner has some knee issues and can't walk very far or stand for too long, so we were wondering what the transportation options to and from the festival would be best?

Also, would it be better to stay somewhere near the site, or in the French Quarter?

Thanks for all suggestions!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

There is not much lodging outside of B&B's near the Fest. Plan to stay in the Quarter or CBD and get one of the shuttle buses that run from downtown NOLA out to the Fest. There are other ways to get there, but with a mobility impairment, the shuttle is the way to go.

http://swagland.com/jazzfest/transport.html

The main issue you need to be aware of is that the Fest is quite spread out within the Fair Grounds and most folks end up doing a lot of walking unless they park themselves at one stage and don't move much. If that's a concern, you might want to look into a scooter rental.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

Stay in the Quarter. Not really any hotels in the immediate area of Jazzfest, and the Quarter isn't too far.

The last few years we've taken the city bus--either the Canal or Esplanade line, depending on where the hotel is. Canal and Esplanade are on opposite sides of the quarter. You can cab it for not too much, but at the end of fest, the lines for cabs will be VERY long. Bus lines aren't as bad. You can leave a little early if you want to avoid the lines. But I don't think we've ever waited more than 15 minutes or so for a bus.

You probably will want folding chairs for fest itself, if standing for long periods is a problem. I've known people to buy cheap ones once they're in town and just leave them behind. Walgreen's and places like that sell them. If you have a chair, you can use it waiting for the bus.

There is an Jazzfest shuttle too, but the city bus is cheaper and we've never had any issues with it. They sell 3-day passes too, which are also good on the streetcar--useful for other sightseeing. You can take the streetcar up canal to get to fest, but you have a bit of a walk then. The bus will get you much closer.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

I've also heard the bus is much cheaper than the shuttle passes, but three one day passes are more economical than the 3 day pass. $12 for a 3 day pass vs $3 for a one day pass.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

The difference between the RTA bus and the shuttle is that the shuttle takes you right into the Fair Grounds, vs. having to walk from Esplanade. Not a big deal for most folks, but relevant for someone with a mobility impairment. Depends on how limiting the impairment is. Again, the main issue is your strategy once you're inside. I like to catch stuff at both ends of the track and in the clubhouse, not to mention hitting the food booths multiple times. I have the same problem as the OP's partner and by the end of the day, I am usually really feeling it in the back.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

I think 61 posted this link above but here's the link I have to transportation to Jazz Fest. Enjoy your visit.

Jazz Fest Transportation..................

http://jazzfest.swagland.com/transport.html

Calgary
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

Thanks very much everyone! Now I can start booking our hotel. Cheers!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

My advice is bring the chairs, we really used them as standing is hard all day. and be aware, the weather is very unpredictable at that time of year. i have been when it is hot and dry, and i have been when it is warm and very rainy. So, if there is any rain predicted, go all out- ponchos, tevas sandles(the best for ankle deep muck) and umbrellas.

Edited: 1:17 pm, January 05, 2012
Calgary
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

Thanks katienia. Can you bring full size lawn chairs or do they have to be smaller, festival seats?

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

You can bring full-sized. If they are in a bag, you have to take them out at the gate. I don't think you're supposed to bring chairs with canopies (although I see a lot of them).

North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jazz Fest 2012 transportation and location questions

If you are flying in to NOLA, you should really consider buying your chairs once you're there since the airlines are charging $20+ for checked luggage. You can go to CVS or Walgreens (convenient location right on Canal St.) and buy a chair for $10-$15 and leave it or sell it before you go. You still come out cheaper than paying $40+ for the round-trip flight.