We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Topic
Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

I've found a couple of guides online... does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking to spend half a day, hunting from a fanboat. Rifles/Ammo need to be provided as we are driving down from Toronto.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

i may resort to a sling shot and metal beads if there are no other options...

80)

i am big enough to get a pretty good draw on a high powered sling

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

I also have that equipment at my house. We use it more on opossums, but I used it on some larger nutria before. Haha! I'm sure there's someone out there willing to take you on a boat. That would really be fun, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

i'll let you know... right now it's just a price thing...

I have been quoted $400 for a full day on a fan boat + $25 per rifle used, ammo included

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

On an episode of the TV show "Up All Night", the comic host somehow arranged to go out and shoot with the employees of some local New Orleans municipal or other governmental authority who kill nutria as part of their job. They did this in the middle of the night using 22 rifles with scope and spotlight, shooting from the back of a pickup truck which they drove along the canals.

On a recent episode of the TV show "Hairy Bikers", the cast members retained a guide with a boat who showed them not only how to shoot the critters (pretty easy), but also how to prepare the meat for human consumption.

I know this isn't much usable information on its own, but it might give you some basis for internet research.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

As much as the State encourages nutria slaying, hunting anything from a moving motorized vehicle is illegal. You could do it from a kayak or pirogue though, with a .22, in the marsh. Trappers get $5 per tail, so make sure to save those.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

As much as the State encourages nutria slaying, hunting anything from a moving motorized vehicle is illegal. You could do it from a kayak or pirogue though, with a .22, in the marsh. Trappers get $5 per tail, so make sure to save those.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

I would contact some guides in the listings on the following sites. While they themselves may not be able to help, they could probably explain who could, as well as where, when and how you can shoot nutria. Most professional guides and their customers here are oriented towards more typical prey, so you may have to look awhile. Also, my understanding of the law is as the previous poster states, so you may have to modify your plan a bit. Unless you hunt with a bow - then the airboat is OK, I think. Personally, if I were going to that much trouble and expense to get out in a freezing marsh, I'd want to bag something I could at least make a good gumbo out of, like ducks. Good luck, let us know what you find out!

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/

rodnreel.com/CommonFiles/HuntingCharter.asp

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

nutria are vermin... you can shoot them from the boat... more often then not though my understand is that we would be on solid areas in the marsh lands near nutria... there is always risk of a ricochet when shooting at water (or a target in water)

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

They ARE vermin, I hope you kill a lot of the nasty things. Really just huge F ing rats, (no offense Rodent). ; )

Wausau, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Nutria (Coypu) Hunting

Do you mind me asking for some contact info on the person you got to quote you? I am also looking for someone to take me out and am having no luck at it.

Thanks