We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

I've been to New Orleans several times over the last 10 years and will be spending Thanksgiving weekend there with a friend and our teen daughters. I've seen that Thursday is opening day at the race track and thought that would be a fun place to spend some time. For those of you who have been before, what should we expect? I will have a car, but prefer not to drive there if possible, what would be the best way to get there and back from the quarter?

We'll be going to rocknbowl that night as well. Also a first for us. Already have a lane reserved for that. We're not really worried about a "traditional" turkey day meal, will probably just grab something quick, not going to fight reservations or over priced meals that day, though we do have lunch reservations at Commanders Palace Friday for my daughter's birthday.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

I have not been to Opening Day At Fairgrounds, but i hear it is a big New Orleans Tradition, with a great Turkey Feast. By all means drive your car. it is not hard to get around New Orleans in your car.And if you are going to Rock n Bowl that night it will be so much easier all around. If, you were thinking of not driving for reasons like drinking and such, i go out to the Fairgrounds on the "City Park" line of the Canal Streetcar. Then it is a walk thru a nice neighborhood to the entrance of the racetrack. But it is quite a walk.

Edited: 7:05 pm, November 12, 2011
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

The holiday dinner at the track on Thanksgiving Day is very popular and is already sold out (tables in the Clubhouse). You can still go to see racing.

http://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

I would definitely recommend a cab to/from the Fairgrounds. Parking is limited at the facility and you'll be able to drink as much as you want while at the races! Also, I'm unsure if the Esplanade Avenue side entrances are open during racing. If not, the main entrance on Gentilly Blvd. is not where I'd want to be walking!

Edited: 7:46 am, November 13, 2011
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

Have fun at the races and also Commander's Palace. Call and ask for a table in the Garden Room overlooking the courtyard. Your daughter will enjoy her birthday there. Good luck.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

I have walked from the quarter to the Fairgrounds (close to an hour's stroll along Esplanade - the Mystery Street gate is usually open during racing and they have shuttle vans that take you from that point to the grandstand). I have also taken a cab (about $13 if I remember properly).

It's a cute little track that allows you to get quite close to the horses, should you be so inclined. Whenever I go to the Fairgrounds I try to stop at Liuzza's By the Track, but it a small, lunch counter type joint that I doubt would be open on Thanksgiving - GREAT Gumbo, though!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

I was thinking the same thing, that Liuzza's is closed on Thanksgiving day. probably better to eat in the French Quarter before going out to the track. There is a bus that goes up Esplanade, too, catch it on the lakeside, downriver side of Esplanade.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

I was there on opening day. We went early, no problems getting in or parking. The buffet was sold out, but they had corned beef sandwiches, rice and beans and amazing bloody Mary's --but get yours early, as the day wore on lines at the snack bars were longer and people were hungry! We left about 3pm and were shocked to see every conceivable parking spot, strip of grass occupied. Busy, but not to be missed. Fun and memorable experience.

New Olreans
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

Make sure you spend some time shopping for the perfect hat. This is a must for Thanksgiving day @ the track! You dont have to dress up, but what makes this day so great is everyone, from all walks of life, wearing fanciful hats. &.. take a cab to and from... parking is bonkers/expensive. See you there!!!

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

Is it difficult to get a cab back to the FQ from the racetrack???

10. Re: Thanksgiving Day at the racetrack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013