We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SouthAfrica
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

We are going on the The US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 (Cosmos Tours) from 31 August to 11 September 2011. We are travelling from South Africa. Would ike to hear feedback from other travellers who have been on this particular tour of the US Old South & Florida with Cosmos Tours.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Never taken that tour but did tour with Cosmos in the UK. The unfortunate part it is truly budget, many highlights mentioned are drive bys, and be prepared at stops at sightseeing areas that charge..you will have to pay for entrance...very little included within the package and many times hotels are not convenient to evening entertainment etc. due to the lower rates for more out of the mainstream places. I hope you do have a good experience.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

I hope someone replies but I have never heard this tour mentioned in the LA forums. You might want to post this on the FL, AL and MS forums. The US is not very hard to get around. I know a lot of visitors like to go on tours because they don't know the country but getting around NOLA to FL is quite easy. I would rent a car and drive. It's more fun to be able to change your schedule if you desire. Good luck.

Edited: 10:27 am, July 22, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

I believe the hotel you will be at is the Holiday Inn Express in the 200 block of Carondolet....a couple blocks to Canal street, cross canal and then into the low numbers of the french quarter.

Take a looke at the frequently asked questions...depends on if you like museums or homes to view...mardi gras museum is by the convention center, cabildo/presbytre/1850 house at jackson square. I see they suggest a riverboat ride but personally I wouldn't take up the time to see docks unless you really want to be on a steamboat.

Walk around Jackson Square,t ake a carriage ride ($15 per person), walk around the French Market, cafe du monde for beignets, and it depends upon how much you want to spend on food as there are great restaurants..depends upon the type of food you want too.

Use the search feature here in trip advisor also.

Antelope, California
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

I have this tour scheduled for October to enjoy the south and it's fall colors.

Cosmos is a good company to travel with. If you plan to see the world as I have done, I would travel with an affordable company and Cosmos is that complany. However, you have to prepare your budget to purchase all of your meals because Cosmos does not feed their tourists in America and their selected hotels usually have spots on the carpet.

If you want better quality hotels and service, you have to pay more and tour with their sister company Globus.

Meanwhile, Cosmos is more affordable to see the world, just put towels on the hotel floors (because they are spotty) and enjoy the ride. Their tour directors are kind with patience and always willing to help and find you if you get lost like I do. (smile) I have been to Italy four times with Cosmos, traveled here in America twice and plan to travel parts of the US and Canada in the fall of 2012 with Cosmos as well. Like I said,,,,,,COSMOS IS AFFORDABLE !

SouthAfrica
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post & for the detail. Travelgirl 246, I found your feedback very helpful - just what I was looking for. We are travelling all the way from South Africa (a very, very long way), so it is expensive for most South Africans to use anything other than an affordable tour operator. Also, our currency is a lot weaker. So using an affordable tour operator is the only way for most South Africans to see the world. We wouldn't be able to otherwise. What we are doing is a dream come true for us & most of our peers who would never be able to afford even a budget tour company. (Even "affordable" means out of reach for most South Africans). This way is much cheaper & easier than hiring a car & planning everything individually as opposed to a Package Tour. We couldn't match the value doing it on our own. I have also checked out all the hotels individually and they are all great in terms of what we are looking for. I will definately post a review on our return. Thanks again for the feedback.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,528 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Hi blackpool - I think you will have a great trip! My husband and I went to Europe back in the 90s on a Cosmos Tour, and it was wonderful. And as you have stated, sometimes going on a tour is the only affordable way to go. Our tour included transportation, accommodations, many of our meals, admission to many places, and our tour guide - there is no way that we could have afforded that on our own. Yes our accommodations were 'budget'...but in every hotel that we stayed at, budget translated to charm in our opinion!!! I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything, and I'm sure that your tour will be just as wonderful!

SouthAfrica
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Thanks jlr51 for your post - very good to know!!!

SouthAfrica
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Having returned from the US Old South & Florida Tour (Cosmos Tours - 8290), I am delighted to advise that it met my expectations and more. I have only good experiences to report and am so happy we chose Cosmos. It was for us the only way to go. We received the best rates in all the hotels, etc, owing to it being a "bulk" booking for the tour. Seeing the prices for booking the same hotels privately (not as part of a tour), was quite a difference. We also received the best tickets, in the best seats, to all the relevant shows / attractions - and of course, at the best prices. We furthermore couldn't have covered the distance we did at the same price, if we had hired a car and done it on our own. Best of all was our Tour Director - Penny Radice - what a star. She kept us entertained and ensured that we were well looked after & informed as to where to get the best deals for meals & shopping. Her insight & knowledge into the places visited was amazing. The Old South is her passion - and it shows. She also knew the Presley Family personally, as well as the Late Martin Luther King, and we were very interested to hear her personal accounts of the families while, visiting the places of interest to these great lives. It wasn't a "Tour", it was a "journey" of discovery! E veryone on tour agreed that doing the same route privately, not on tour, we would have missed so much. For one thing, you don't know what to look for and secondly, Penny gives all the interesting info & insight (for example - she even showed us the apartment block first rented by the Presley's when arriving in Memphis - over the road to our hotel - we would have driven straight passed otherwise. But fortunately, Penny pointed it out. One of many examples of the little bits that made all the difference). Also had a great driver - Sam - the best. So pleased we chose Cosmos and can't wait for "next time"!!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

How about your visit to New Orleans?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Old South & Florida Tour - 8290 - Cosmos Tours

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the NOLA forum. I had no idea where your tour took you. I just looked it up and you went to my favorite places. Did you enjoy Natchez, MS. It's a great place to visit. I hope you made it up through the MS Delta. If not please do some day. Did you find any good BBQ and blues music in Memphis. And Savannah, GA is one of my favorite ciites. Good luck and come back to NOLA again soon.