We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faubourg Marigny

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
113 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Faubourg Marigny

Hi -

I will be staying at the JW Marriott on Canal during a trip this fall and was wondering if the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood is within comfortable walking distance. Also, can some help me with how to pronounce the words? I'm guessing fo-berg marg-ah-nee... but I could be way off.

Thx.

M.

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faubourg Marigny

It's usually pronounced "FO-berg Mare-i-nee", as I've been instructed.

I personally would not want to walk from the JW Marriott to the Marigny - that's too far for my bones - although taken in small doses, broken by stops for refreshments, it could be done. It is an inexpensive cab ride (less than $10) and if you have the time you can take the streetcar most of the way there. However you get there, it is worth the trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faubourg Marigny

The JW to the Marigny (the "g" is silent, so mare-in-nee is pretty close!) is about a 15-17 minute walk. It's doable.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faubourg Marigny

It is definitely doable unless you are in very poor physical shape. We stayed in the Marigny on our last trip and walked all over the FQ with no issues.

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Faubourg Marigny

Are there any safety issues walking back to the FQ around midnight after some late Frenchmen Street jazz?

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faubourg Marigny

We stayed in the Marigny on our last trip as well and we walked all over but the heat was getting to me after a while. We walked from Frenchmen Street to Canal and back on Decatur one day but we took it very slow and stopped for shopping and a cool beverage on the way. I was pretty wiped by the end. I would hesitate to walk direct from the JW Marriott to Frenchmen Street in the daytime heat unless there was a nap waiting at the end! :o)

As to the question about safety, on our last trip in May we often walked back from Bourbon Street to the Marigny after midnight and had no problems at all. Just be aware of your surroundings. (Of course, that goes for anytime in any city!)

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faubourg Marigny

there were two shootings on Bourbon in the past few days. One in the 100 block (apparently a fight)around 11 pm and the other in the 400 block around 4 am where some guy pulled a gun. In the first incident, two bystanders were shot, and in the second, one of the bouncers from a club. (No one seriously hurt).

While I have never personally felt threatened, one should keep in mind that some idiot can pull a gun at any time, in any city. 400 Bourbon is not a place where I'd generally "be aware of my surroundings" as it is a classic Bourbon Street party area. Of course, I sincerely doubt I'd be out at 4 am either! Not to say this idiot couldn't have done it earlier...

minnesota
Level Contributor
113 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faubourg Marigny

Thanks for all the info. We're a group of 7 with 3 teens... and would already be heading to a bike tour. How close does the trolley get?

M

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Faubourg Marigny

QQE, if you don't mind me asking, in what part of Marigny (closest street intersection) did you stay?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Faubourg Marigny

Shades, not much of a particular safety concern walking between Frenchmen St. (the portion between Esplanade Ave. and Chartres St.) and the French Quarter provided you use streets with some pedestrian and/or vehicular traffic (like Decatur St. and Bourbon St.). After 2:00 AM, depending on the type of street traffic and my destination in the French Quarter, I'd consider a taxicab.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Faubourg Marigny

The Frenchmen St. area of Marigny is about a one mile walk (20 minutes without pause) from the New Orleans Marriott. During our last NOLA visit our hotel was on Canal St., and over the course of the day and night we meandered to Marigny; after a very full day and night of walking we opted to take a taxicab back to the hotel; about an $8 fare (there were traffic delays) plus tip.

Between 9:00 AM and 6:30 PM the Riverfront Streetcar (not called a "trolley") goes from within 4-5 blocks of the Marriott to the corner of Marigny. However, portions or all of the Riverfront line may be out of servive for repair over the next month or so. For comprehensive streetcar information (however you will need to call for repair status), including a map, see:

norta.com/Files/…Streetcars-1210web.pdf

Edited: 11:14 am, July 11, 2011