We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is NOLA now?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
How is NOLA now?

We're thinking of going in April to New Orleans with another couple.We were there in '99 and it was great, of course! How is the French Quarter now and what hotels can you recommend? We want to stay on Bourbon St.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is NOLA now?

You won't find the French Quarter to be much different than on previous trips except that crime is lower and there are perhaps slighly fewer restaurants and shops.

Only hotels I recommend on Bourbon are the Royal Sonesta and Bourbon Orleans. Farther down towards Esplanade are Lafitte Guest House (now closed) and La Maison Marigny Bed and Breakfast. The rest of Bourbon is either residential or retail.

Metairie, Louisiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How is NOLA now?

We drove on by the Central Business District and there are some places there to stay.

(It's near enough to Bourbon)

Try on kayak.com and see what you find near the CBD.

C'mon down! We've still got enough charm to enjoy!

NY
Level Contributor
144 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is NOLA now?

There are lots of hotels open in the Quarter. If I were you, unless you intend to only drink like a college kid and do not want to sleep, I would not stay directly on Bourbon Street. It's fun to visit, but it is characterized by loud music and often its drunks are very loud. Some of its bars are still playing loud music at 7am. Stay near it if you want, then walk back somewhere else to rest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is NOLA now?

Hi Moe9,

We were there over New Years Eve and it was great. Most of the quarter is up and running again. Be aware of the hours of restaurants and shops you want to go to because they might close earlier than normal.

If you want to stay on Bourbon Street I would second CajunWave's recommendation for the Bourbon Orleans. We stayed there on this past trip and had no trouble sleeping. FYI, when we booked we got fantastic specials thru AAA.

Have a great time!