We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Hello!

Anyone have any experience getting married in the Cathedral? Is it really difficult to book, etc. Also, I'm not catholic, but willing to do whatever it takes to get married here.

Is this something attainable or am I completely dreaming?

Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Pixie - I haven't been married there, but it sounds wonderful. Here are the guidelines: stlouiscathedral.org/…2008.pdf

Enjoy!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Wow, I had no idea they had so many rules. But what a fabulous place for your wedding! Good Luck!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Wow...that is a lot of rules. And while it doesn't say it explicitly, I think at least one of the parties has to be Catholic...or am I reading that wrong?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Wow...........Can you get married in Jackson Square for free. SL Cathedral is gorgeous. It would be an event of a lifetime. Good luck.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

You're correct Herm, at least one of the couple has to be Roman Catholic.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

That seems more than fair to me. Many historic and really beautiful churches have enough trouble accommodating brides from neighboring churches, along with their own parishioners, much less those who are not even of the same faith. When my son and DIL were planning their wedding they had to have the support of her parrish priest to reach out to the historic church in the same town to be married there and considered themselves quite lucky that the favor was granted. Not at all the same thing as venue you rent for a wedding.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

thanks, bcla...I thought I'd read that correctly. So, pixie...is the groom Catholic? Or are you converting?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

Getting married in Jackson Square is a GREAT idea! You can go into the church and take pictures after you get married and use St Louis Cathedral as back ground while you're outside! Just thinking...in case there's no catholic involved!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

My daughter inquired about getting married at the Cathedral, but decided against it. I agree with KC about the process and guidelines. Couples will still have to go through all of the counseling that all Catholic weddings entail. It's not like booking a wedding chapel but the hoops through which one must pass can be worth it.

My daughter's wedding was in Jackson Square. Dealing with the Parks Department can be tedious and at times difficult. I don't think they really encourage weddings. But the venue is picturesque.

Edited: 7:33 pm, April 20, 2011
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Married at St. Louis Cathedral

or...you could just get married somewhere else, toss the wedding party in limos and head to Jackson Square/St. Louis Cathedral for the photo op! Avoid all the process, counselling, fees, Parks Dept. etc...

just sayin....