We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beignets in New Orleans?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beignets in New Orleans?

I know that Cafe du Monde is the choice destination for beignets however my husband and I tried them last year and thought they were not very good. Certainly not light and fluffy as we had been led to believe. We will be back in New Orleans in a couple of weeks and were wondering if there was a better, less publisized destination for beignets?

Tuscaloosa Al
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

I have had beinets from Cafe du Monde, Cafe Beignet, and Morning Call. I think all were very good. To me, there is nothing like fresh beignets and cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde, but the other two have thier ups. The beignets from Cafe Beignet are fluffier, and I did like that the powdered sugar came on the side at Morning Call. I also recommend the cala cakes from The Old Coffee Pot. They are rice fritters covered in powdered sugar and served with maple syrup. I think I have some pics.... I'll post a link if I can find them.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,950 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

cap - You are making me hungry! :-) I did love those cala cakes.

I've never ordered anything from Cafe du Monde except beignets and chicory cafe au lait (hot or cold) depending on the weather - always been good. Chicory coffee is an acquired taste, I think. The first time I had it, I didn't really care for it. The 2nd time I had it, it was lovely :-)

I do think that sometimes the disappointment with Cafe du Monde is just one of expectations - it is such a NOLA institution and people talk about it so much that people go there thinking that this is going to be some absolutely life-changing experience with the most fabulous thing you have ever had to eat in your life. In reality, it is a 150 year old coffee and donut stand - they serve chicory coffee and fried dough.

SD
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

We were in NOLA May 25 to May 29 of this year. Our first beignet stop was Morning Call at City Park. With nothing to compare it to they were fabulous. Next we tried Cafe Beignet on Royal. Much bigger and fluffy. The following day we tried Cafe Beignet on Bourbon. Tasted the same as the ones on Royal. Very good. My husband preferred this location. He ordered the cajun hashbrowns and loved them. Our last day the line was short at Cafe Du Monde. I felt the flavor was maybe a bit better. However, they were smaller and not as fluffy. So even though they are all beignets, its a bit like comparing apples and oranges. They are all pretty darn good!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
257 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

Cafe Beignet is much better than Cafe DM in my opinion, light, airy and always fresh. CDM are loaded with grease and are super heavy.

Metairie, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

I know where you can get the best beignets in town!! Morning Call Coffee Stand, it's one of New Orleans famous beignet shops since 1870. Original location was in the French Quarter and in 1974 they moved to Metairie La., 3325 Severn Ave. right next to the Metairie post office and behind Lakeside Shopping Center. The beignets are amazing the best I ever ate. The cafe au lait is to die for. If you ever want to have the best beignets you must go to Morning Call!!!!!

Metairie, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

I know where you can get the best beignets in town!! Morning Call Coffee Stand, it's one of New Orleans famous beignet shops since 1870. Original location was in the French Quarter and in 1974 they moved to Metairie La., 3325 Severn Ave. right next to the Metairie post office and behind Lakeside Shopping Center. The beignets are amazing the best I ever ate. The cafe au lait is to die for. If you ever want to have the best beignets you must go to Morning Call!!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

"Light and fluffy" are the last two adjectives I'd choose to describe a beignet, and I've been scarfing 'em down for 62 years!

: D

Then again, it's all relative. Some beignets are bound to be light(ER) and fluffi(ER) than others.

One thing is for sure: The illusion of lightness fades as they cool. Gotta eat 'em hot!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

I like savory beignets and the crawfish beignets at Muriel's were my favorite.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

call me crazy...but I thought the beignets at the morning call cafe inside the state park were the best ;)

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Best Beignets in New Orleans?

I think we were just "double advertised" on an old thread....