We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

My husbands work has a convention at the Center in May. The ladies of this group will want to shop, gamble and check out the sites. He has booked at the Marriott there but it looks to me to be to far from "anything" else that may be fun for us women. HELP please!!!!! Anything that might be close to gambling AND not that far from the conventionss center?????

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

There is a nice Hilton right at the Convention Center. The Marriott is OK, I have stayed there a couple of times, but I think you could pick a better location if you have the ability to make changes. Keep in mind that the area is not that big, and taxis are cheap and plentiful.

If you stay closer to the CC, (like the Hilton), you can walk to the French Quarter easy enough. If your husbands are working at the CC, may be more important for them to get there early so being close would be good. With a more leisurely schedule, you can walk to shopping and sights in the FQ. Have you looked at a map of the area?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

I may have mislead you, assumed you meant the Marriott on Canal. Which Marriott are you booked with?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

If you are at the Marriott Convention Center, you should be fine. The reviews look good and it is easily walkable to everyplace you will want to go.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d553884-…

indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, It is the Marriott at the Convention Center. On the map it looks to be far from anything.........We were there about 10 years ago and stayed at a hotel that had stores connected to it. It was close to the river I believe. Any ideas what hotel that might have been??

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

Sounds like the Hilton Riverside.

For what you're planning on doing, I would be more inclined to choose a hotel around Canal Street versus one in the Convention Center area.

The area around the convention center isn't unsafe or anything, but the streets are much less busy at night.

Places like the Hilton Riverside, the Marriott on Canal Street, Sheraton etc may not have a lot of New Orleans atmosphere. But they are a reasonable walk away from the convention center for your husband. And I think a somewhat safer walk at night time for the ladies going gambling at Harrah's or returning from the French Quarter.

Edited: 9:35 am, March 10, 2011
indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. He is going to try and book at the Hilton Riverside. We were happy there and for the life of me I could not remember the name! thanks again.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

I'm stayint at the Hilton Riverside tonight for the next 4 nights. It is next door to the convention center, across the street from Harrah's, and you can catch the streetcar just outside the front door to take you to the French Quarter. Can't beat the location for what you want to do.

indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

Sounds perfect!! Enjoy and let me know if I need to know anything else!! Thanks so much.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

The Westin Canal Place is near the river and has a shopping mall connected. That was where you stayed previously. It's a couple of blocks E of the Hilton. But it's close to Harrah's and the FQ.

Edited: 12:14 pm, March 10, 2011
10. Re: Help with Hotel selection near Convention Center(maybe)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 21, 2012