We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

I am visiting New Orleans for 2 days in July and would like some advice as to where to stay and whether my planned itinerary can be improved upon.

I am a woman travelling alone and so want to stay in an area I will feel comfortable walking around, at least to have an evening meal and drink (although not staying out till really late). I had looked at the Lion Inn B&B and like the more convivial atmosphere and friendly, personal service of a B&B, but was not sure whether being in Marigny as opposed to the French Quarter was a good idea on my first trip: should I instead try and be at the heart of the action? That being said, from what I read the FQ is a bit more touristy whereas Marigny is more of a local place to hang out, which appeals.

My ideas for an itinerary so far were a Confederacy of Cruisers cycle tour on the first morning then a wander round the FQ in the afternoon. Dinner in Marigny and explore the music bars on Frenchmans Street.

On the second day I thought of catching a streetcar to the Garden District, shopping on Magazine Street, perhaps a cemetery tour and then into the FQ early evening for drinks and dinner.

Any responses or suggestions would be very gratefully received. New Orleans is a place I’ve LONG wanted to visit and I’m so excited to finally get the chance, albeit for a short time, so I just want to make it as good a visit as possible.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

My husband and I stayed at a b&b in the Marigny last year, and I loved staying in that neighborhood. It was a fun area to walk around and explore. It is an easy walk to the French Quarter and is perfectly safe in the day time. My husband and I walked back even at night, but if you decide to stay there since you are traveling alone I would recommend a cab at night. Like you, we also enjoy the personal service of a b&b.

But....since you are in New Orleans for just a short time and are traveling alone, it might make more sense to stay at a hotel in the Quarter where you are right in the center of the action and wouldn't have to worry about a cab at night. There are many wonderful hotels in the Quarter,

I think your itinerary sounds good - not too rushed so you will have time to enjoy the atmosphere. Be sure to stop in at Pat O's for a Hurricane!!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

jb, if you plan on staying in Marigny, this is a site you might enjoy looking over:

wikitravel.org/en/…Faubourg_Marigny

If you're there for only 2 days and alone, I'd follow jlr's lead and suggest staying in the Quarter. It will just make wandering so much easier for you, especially with limited time. And altho I'm not big on Bourbon Street anymore (there's sooooooooo much more to Nawlins!) as a first time visitor, it may be the best palce to stay (or close by!) It truly depends on what you end up doing, and my "guess" is that most of your time will be spent in the Quarter...

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

I would not recommend you staying in the Marigny on your first visit to NOLA. Place D Armes, Le Marais and Provincial are three very nice small hotels that are in perfect locations in the FQ. I would pick a nice hotel near Bourbon Street but not right on it. Near Jackson Square is nice. St. Marie is nice.

Hotel Le Marais @ 717 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 525 - 2300.

http://www.hotellemarais.com/

Hotel Provincial @ 1024 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 581 - 4995.

http://www.hotelprovincial.com/

Hotel St. Marie @ 827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 561-8951

http://www.hotelstmarie.com/

Place D'Armes Hotel @ 625 Saint Ann Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 524 - 4531.

http://www.placedarmes.com/

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

Since your time is so short, and considering your activities of interest, you would want to stay somewhere halfway between the Frenchmen St. area, and where you catch buses/streetcars to Garden District/Magazine St., i.e., somewhere close to Jackson Square. Although the French Quarter certainly has many tourists, it is not "touristy" in the traditional sense; it is the centerpiece of a typical first visit to New Orleans. There are a number of smaller French Quarter hotels, off Bourbon St., that offer the convivial atmosphere of a B&B. You might want to consider Place D'Armes Hotel, Hotel Villa Convento, Hotel Provincial, or Bienville House.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

Get a po boy from Johnny's or a muffaletta from Central Grocery and have lunch on a bench in Jackson Square. Have breakfast at Camellia Grill on Chartres. Visit the French Market and look at all the great things for sale there.

Camellia Grill @ 540 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 522 - 1800.

www.neworleans.com/index.php…

Johnny's Po Boys @ 511 Saint Louis St., New Orleans, LA 504 - 524 - 8129.

http://www.johnnyspoboy.com/

Central Grocery @ 923 Decatur St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 523 - 1620.

www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx…

Mimi's in the Marigny and Port O Call are fine places for inexpensive dining. The burgers at Port O Call are outstanding. Buffa's Lounge has good tamales.

Mimi's in the Marigny @ 2601 Royal St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 872 - 9868.

Port of Call @ 838 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 523 - 0120.

http://www.portofcallneworleans.com/

Buffa's Lounge @ 1001 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 949 - 0038.

http://www.buffaslounge.com/

Edited: 11:44 am, February 11, 2011
Leicester
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

So much great info and ideas- thanks all!

Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

I absolutely would recommend Faubourg Marigny to any one visiting New Orleans. There are many beautiful Bed and Breakfasts just blocks from Frenchmen Street clubs and the French Quarter.

www.bbnola.com is the Professional Innkeepers Association of New Orleans (P.I.A.N.O.) website and is search-able by neighborhoods.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

What 2 days in July are you visiting? If they are flexible, might I suggest you plan to be there for the Running of the Bulls? July 9? It is a riot!

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

If you get a chance to try not to miss going to Preservation Hall have been both visits and its a great thing to do. Although in July it might be a little warm in there.

Morgaine

Leicester
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in New Orleans - must sees in 2 days?

I'm there 25th-27th July so will miss the bulls.