We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at night?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houma, Louisiana
Destination Expert
for Houma
Level Contributor
638 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
What to do at night?

My wife and I plan on staying sometime either late may or early june. Is there anything to do at night besides drink and the bloody mary tours? my wife is a pansy and doesn't want to take the tour with me. she doesn't even watch scary movies at home.

We will be staying in the french quarter so i do not want to drive, i'll do a taxi though. i'm thinking maybe theatre and some kind of jazz shows. i like tours but i can't seem to find much on the neworleans tourist website.

any ideas are welcome. thanks

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at night?

Most folks go to the FQ during the day and stroll around having a few drinks here and there. It's fun to visit the different bars and hear all the fine music. You can stroll around Jackson Square and the old French Market. Go in the bars and listen to music and marvel the old buildings. Have some snacks like po boys or muffaletta's. Go to Acme or Felix's for fine seafood and have dinner somewhere nice.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at night?

What kind of things do you like to do?

Music in hundreds of clubs (you don't have to drink...)

Dinner at hundreds of restaurants..

Go over to Harrahs for a night of gambling if that's your thing.

You could go bowling.

Dance/watch at a fais do do (Cajun "square dance")

Check out a burlesque show. ;-)

Take the ferry or a dinner cruise on the river.

Seriously, I think you'll find more to do at night than during the day!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at night?

Axle and WT are correct. Have a nice dinner and go see some music. Jazz, blues, soul, zydeco and brass all over. Preservation Hall has three traditional jazz shows (40 minute ea?) nightly and no booze is sold....don't forget to buy a t-shirt. Frenchman St is near the Quarter and has plenty of musical venues. Piano bars on Bourbon like Pat O's. Jazz at Irvin Mayfields in the Royal Sonesta is usually outstanding. Check the WWOZ.org website for music in town, a few days before your visit. Venue locations are linked. Most of the musicians listed can be found on youtube, if you want to preview the type of music. You may find mornings and nights are the best time to get out and explore. Stay cool and remember to heavily hydrate in the afternoons....it will be a little steamy that time of year.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do at night?

MrG--Tell your wife that I do not like horror movies or things like that either, but the walking ghost tour we took was NOTHING to get scared about or over! There are other tours like the Katrina Tour (Celebration Tours or Tours By Isabelle do those). There are also swamp tours, plantation tours, a cruise on the steamer Natchez that goes up and down the Mississippi River for two hours. There will be TONS of stuff to do. You will not have a problem filling up your time in the wonderful, fablous place we call New Orleans.

Have fun!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do at night?

You will have plenty to do. And yes, Preservation Hall and even Pat O's has jazz. We will be returning again in March for St. Patricks Day.

AR
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do at night?

There is a( live )theater as well as a movie theater in Canal Place and the WWII Museum has all sorts of dinner shows on certain nights. The movie theater has reclining chairs and serves wine....Though it is not a night there is a free walking tour of the Quarter at the Park Service Headquarters in the 300 or 400 block of Decatur

7. Re: What to do at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 05, 2012