We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to New Orleans

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Moving to New Orleans

I am considering taking a position with the federal court in NO. What are the living conditions like now? Is it as bad as it looks on the news?

San Diego
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to New Orleans

Tsparks

I have a friend who is an AUSA in New Orleans - I could email him for you to see how things are going. I know he is back in town and suffered some damage to his condo.

SBM0303

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to New Orleans

The areas hardest hit by the water are a total disaster, housing is limited. Do you want to rent or buy? There are houses for sale in the neighborhoods left untouched or very minimally damaged. There are rental properties, but these are SO over inflated, well passed price gouging. Your question, "is it as bad as it looks on the news?" Assuming that what you are seeing on the news is Lakeside, 9th ward, etc. it's far worse than any picture can depict. HOWEVER, this certainly does NOT encompass entire city. Best for you to contact some of the realtors in the city to check for availability in your price range BEFORE deciding to relocate. New Orleans is STILL the most fabulous city. Best of luck to you.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to New Orleans

We just returned from New Orleans. It is still a vibrant city where sections have seen horrible devastation. Is it livable? Certainly, if you can find housing. The spirit of the city remains, the people are temendously resiliant. It will take many years for New Orleans to come back, but living through the rebirth of this great city should be quite an experience!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to New Orleans

tsparks: What would you like to know? Living conditions is a generality. Where would you live in NO? Have you studied the public school system here? The NO public school system has been taken over by the State of LA. It is a failed system.

Why would you want to come here?

Atlanta is a better place to be.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to New Orleans

mrkeen...hopefully since the New Orleans Public School Board has been disbanded and the state has taken over the New Orleans School System this only means that improvement is on its way, for the students' sake & our own!

tsparks...living conditions are fine here except for in the areas that are completely devestated like Lakeview, the 9th Ward, New Orleans East, and St. Bernard Parish. These areas are still, for the most part, devestated, deserted, and inoperable.

Most of Midcity, Uptown, Downtown, and Westbank of New Orleans as well as the surrounding areas of Metairie, Kenner, Gretna, Terrytown, and Belle Chasse are all functioning on levels near to normal. Grocery stores, Wal-Marts/Targets, restaurants, bars and even a couple malls are open all over the New Orleans metro area.

As far as places to live, homes for sale & rent are available. As previously mentioned there IS a lot of excessively high rent being asked, but this is not the case with everyone. many landlords understand that people are just trying to come home and may have lost everything and sensitive to that. in searching for a place, i suggest figuring out how much you can afford to pay and only look at places within that range. if you find a place that's close to your limit, try to work it out with the landlord before giving up on it. When my husband and I returned to the city, we were able to find a great place within our budget, so it IS possible!

If you need to see for yourself if you can live here in New Orleans' current state of functioning, make a short trip and come check it out (and do some home shopping while you're here). Don' be discouraged by the terrible scenes you see on television. In those areas, it IS that bad, BUT that is not the WHOLE area that they're showing!

good luck!