We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

USA
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

Hi everyone,

I know that answers will be all over the board for this, but on average, how much do you spend per person for a typical day/night in NOLA?

We already have hotel accomodations at the Dauphine, but for the average person, how much do you spend out at night on drinks and meals? Is $100 per person per day too low?

Any tips to stay within this budget if possible?

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
630 reviews
1. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

Depends on how big of a drinker and what type of restaurants you frequent. I don't know that I've ever paid a lot of attention to what we spend/day.

If you eat at Johnny's poboys for bfast and/or lunch, Coop's, Napoleon House for lunch/dinner or Deanies, you'll get a lot of food that's good for your dollar. Cafe du Monde for a meal or snack is a must as well and beignets are quite affordable.

Buy your beers on side streets of Bourbon to save a few bucks, make sure when you get a beer special that they're full sized beers and not baby beers! You can hit the corner stores of beer/wine as well to save a few bucks. Lafittes Blacksmith shop has really strong and tasty hurricanes so they're a good value and a great atmosphere.

Happy vacationing!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
2. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

I think a great time can be had for $100/day per person, excluding hotel costs. Last time we were there, that's about what we spent, except for a couple of splurge nights dining. Neither of us are big drinkers though.

Seems that entertainment is the least expensive activity in NO, most of it is free. Drinks don't strike me as particularly expensive, and dining is a good bargain, so yes, you can do it on $100. a day per person, and not feel like you're missing out on anything.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

my sis Deny777 and I drop about $100 every time we walk into Pat O'Brien's (which is once or twice a day!) And that's alcohol and tips only! :) Obviously, we like our booze! Since we generally get only one vacation a year (this year we're lucky enough to get two and will be back in November) Anyway, since that's our "splurge" time, we generally spend like Congress when we're in NOLA! You only live once--let the good times roll!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
4. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

"Spend like congress." Good one Hermicane. And you are right, vacation is not the time to economize.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

thanks kjosker...I thought that was pretty funny too! The only difference is we're spending our OWN money, not someone else's! But you are right--if you're not a big drinker, NOLA can be done on $100 a day (with maybe a "splurge" here and there!:)

Edited: 2:16 pm, September 12, 2010
USA
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
6. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

Thanks everyone! We'll be in town for 2 1/2 days, and we have budgeted around 1K for spending on drinks, dining, and tours... If we go over it's not a big deal, just trying to figure out a rough idea.

Thanks again!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

It also depends on when you're going. Right now thru the end of Sept. many restaurants are running fixed price "Coolinary" specials, just as they offer "Papa Noel" specials in December. You might also head over to restaurant.com because they're running an 80% off special through Monday Sept 13th when you put the code TOUCHDOWN in the promo box. Taking advantage of these lets me splurge in other areas.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
147 reviews
8. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

My husband and I eat at mostly inexpensive places (Napoleon House, Johnny's, Clover Grill , Praline Connection, etc) and do plenty of drinking, and I can't imagine that we have ever spent over $100 per person per day on food/alcohol. I know that a lot of people don't want to go to chain restaurants while in New Orleans, but one of the best meals we ever had in NO was at Margaritaville. My husband said his steak was among the best he ever had, we had a balcony table, and after dinner you can go into the cute bar with the tire swings and try to maneuver yourself into one of them.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

When are you going? I really enjoyed commanders, but we went for lunch during the week and had the 25 cent martinis. That was far better than spending lots on drinks. I am budgeting 100 a day per person for food drinks and tours. Plus another 100 each, just in case. Have fun. My mom and I split entrees for lunch and went all out for dinner. This time I think we will skip the brunchand go more towards bakery or light breakfast.

I love cocktails, my husband its more of a beer guy, so drink money isn't even for us. But there its no better place than nola for cocktails. Less than two weeks til a pimm's cup,and a hurricane from lafittes...and that sangria like thing at court of two sisters...

Ga
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: How much money per day should we budget in NOLA?

One of the great things about New Orleans is that you can have a great time and wonderful meals on pretty much any budget!

When we're pinching pennies, we have had a fabulous time while spending less than $50/day (for two people) on food, drinks, and entertainment! Lots of good places for great food at ridulously low prices, cheap booze, and great jazz for minimal cover charges. And of course...People watching is free!

On the other end of the spectrum...when we're "spending like Congress" (good one, Hermicane!), we've gone through more than $6,000 in a week for the two of us on food, drinks and entertainment alone. Granted, at least $1500 of that was on artwork... shopping is a form of entertainment, right? LOL!

Edited: 3:13 am, September 14, 2010