We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants on the Mississippi

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants on the Mississippi

Can anyone recommend a restaurant or pub that is overlooking the river for a lunch on a weekday. I am down at the end of September and am hoping for a river view feed.

Thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

Almost everywhere I can think of, the river is banked by a levee and/or floodwall, large barriers to keep the water out of new orleans. Buildings are overwhelming built on the other side of the levee, meaning you can't actually see the river from them unless they're over a certain height.

This means you don't have a lot of options really- the only places I can think of are JAX brewery, or a picnic at the moon walk/woldenberg park or the fly.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

I can't think of anything except the food court at Jax Brewery or the food court at the Riverwalk Mall. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

Locals and some visitors may remember the pre-K Bella Luna restaurant in the French Market, where I dined on many occasions. The second floor space offers the best restaurant view of the river in town. The last I checked, a Spanish restaurant called Galvez was operating in that space. Not sure if they are still operating, but if they are, that's an option. I tried some of their food at one of the festivals last year and it was pretty good, but I've never been to the actual restaurant.

Bella Luna is no more, but a few years ago the chef bought Middendorf's, the classic roadside seafood house just off I-55 in Manchac, which is arguably the best place for fried seafood in the area. An odd twist is that they also offer the best Oktoberfest menu in the area (Chef Horst is German).

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

shore - In New Orleans, the river overlooks the city.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

Here are the TripAdvisor reviews for Galvez. They're somewhat mixed, but generally positive. The Urban Spoon reviews are more positive.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60864-d14…

I miss Bella Luna's bread pudding. It was very much like my mother's. The only issues I remember with the view were both at night. If the lights in the restaurant were turned up to high, you couldn't get a good view outside. Also, if the ambient temperature and humidity were high, condensation on the windows was a problem.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

Can't speak to the quality of the food, or the view from a typical table, because I've only had a drink there, but the restaurant at the Westin New Orleans at Canal Place has an 11th floor location close to and overlooking the River. See:

starwoodhotels.com/westin/…

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

Thanks everyone, first time in NOLA and didn't know what to expect.

8. Re: Restaurants on the Mississippi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, February 22, 2011
Get answers to your questions about New Orleans