We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preparing for New Orleans

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Preparing for New Orleans

Well, the trip we had booked to New Orleans before the hurricane is finally here. We will be heading down on Thursday. Stayin in the French Quarter and looking forward to it. From everything I have read on this board and others, the Quarter is getting back to normal so I know what to look forward to there. But, I am curious about what we will see on the cab ride from the airport to the Quarter. I just want to prepare myself for the devestation that may or may not be seen from I-10. Will the devestation be visable along the way or is it something that we will not see?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preparing for New Orleans

From I-10, you won't see a lot that makes your mouth drop with the possible exception of waterlines along buildings near the Carrollton interchange in Mid City. Along with perhaps a bit more debris along the roadway, damaged billboards, etc., that's about it. On the I-10 itself, you will notice a lot more pickup trucks as we've been invaded by Texan contractors driving F-350s.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preparing for New Orleans

THANKS, Cajun. I laughed when I read the line about the Texan invasion. My brother, who is coming along with me, has been watching the web cams and been a little stressed out that the male to female ratio seems to be about ten to one. No doubt a lot of them are contractors letting off some steam on Bourbon Street.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preparing for New Orleans

The sound barriers will shield a lot of the devastation from view but you may see the fleet of ghost autombiles parked under the overpasses. This is where all the cars that flooded ae being stored. If you arrive at night, you may notice a marked difference in illumination once you pass the 17th Street Canal.