We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"I know where you got your shoes"...

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
"I know where you got your shoes"...

On this N.O. forum, i often see the " I know where you got your shoes" warning... what is that all about??? I'm going to N.O in September and just want to know what i should/should not do/say...

TIA!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

It is a common con job, a guy, (who may have an enforcer nearby), comes up to you and tries to bet you he knows where you got your shoes. If you take the bet, his answer is "on yo feet." You lose. The best answer is either "they are on my feet," or "I am a local." Really a good rule of thumb is not to engage in any such verbal games with anyone who acosts you on the street. DH and I go to NOLA 3-4 times a year, and while we have heard stories, personally we have never been approached with this, (and we do a lot of wandering around the FQ, sometimes late at night), so don't be paranoid. In fact, we have never been bothered by anything we could not just walk away from.

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

good to know. Thanks!

Kitchener
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

Thank you for the clarification. I take it that New Orleans is a bit more dangerous than other cities we are used to.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

I don't know where you live, or where you are used to, so it is hard to say if it is more dangerous. I never feel unsafe in New Orleans. As I said, we have never been accosted in that manner, just heard the stories. As in any other setting where there are lots of people, most of them drinking, you need to pay attention to your surroundings and make good judgements. We live in Kansas City and I have been a "road warrior," for the last 15 yrs. I frequently travel alone all around the US, and I am not more nervous about NOLA than anywhere else I go, less than some places frankly. I love going to New Orleans and am not at all nervous about walking around the FQ late at night. Would I go driving off toward neighborhoods with which I am not familar late at night? NO, but I wouldn't do that in Kansas City either. I don't know where you can go that you don't have to pay a bit of attention.

NJ
Level Contributor
754 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

Yeah, that happened to me. We just laughed and walked away.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
427 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

I wouldn't consider the "shoes" thing dangerous. Just an easy way for a naive person to lose some money. Don't bet anyone on the street anything, in any city.

NJ
Level Contributor
754 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

Yeah, but even if you fall for it, you DON'T HAVE TO PAY.

And I don't know about the part with "enforcer" present. That sounds more like a robbery.

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
650 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

In 4 week long visits to NOLA we have been approached once. Just made eye contact and said " No Thanks ".

We visit San Francisco regularly and homeless people are everywhere you look, at all hours. Again, in 5 week long visits we've never had a problem. If approached, don't show fear, answer politely, and they have always gone on their way without incident.

Same has applied in Boston, Savannah, Pittsburgh, and San Juan on visits we've made.

Don't let the thought of trouble ruin your visit, you will love Nola...

BRADLEY, ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

After 17 years of visiting New Orleans, I`ve found the best response to any "street games" is a FIRM no, immediately followed by walking away. If you stand there and debate the issue, you run the risk of having your wallet lifted while you`re engaged in a pointless conversation.(Scammers sometimes have help lurking in the background)

Don`t wear convention badges, Mardi Gras beads(unless it IS Mardi Gras)etc., it tags you as a target. I have seen street punks tailing these people, just waiting for an opportunity to move in.

Try to stay relatively sober, a large percentage of folks who get into trouble are blind drunk, and easy to accost.

New Orleans is a wonderful city, lots of fun, lots of great food and music. Just use common "street smarts", and you should be fine. We`ve never had any real problems in all the years we`ve been visiting, just by being being always aware of your surroundings etc.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: "I know where you got your shoes"...

We just returned from N.O. and actually ran into quite a few of these guys. I had already read about the scam, so I knew just what to do. I told them I had them on my feet, smiled, and walked on. Nobody chased me down, cussed me out, or threatened me in any way. I think most of them are pretty harmless. Just trying to find a quick way to make a dollar or two from unsuspecting tourists.