We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more flooding - how much can it really hurt?

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
more flooding - how much can it really hurt?

I love New Orleans and am counting the days until she is once again ready for tourists, so please don't think I am unfeeling. Last night I was watching msnbc and they were interviewing a reporter who was standing by one of the repaired levees, and talking about the likelihood of flooding caused by Rita. The reporter asked the question 'how much can it really hurt'....the damage is already done. The houses that are in the area(s) that will flood again are already condemned. There should not be any people there. Basically he was saying that the only bad thing that could come out of more flooding is that they will have a setback on time because they have to start pumping the water out again. Sounds logical to me, what do you think?

Dardanelle, Arkansas
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more flooding - how much can it really hurt?

Well, first there is going to be the added expense of re-doing what was already done. Pumping more water out, repairing the temporary levee, etc. Additionally, it is a huge blow to the morale of Orleaneans who were trying to square their shoulders and dig in to the mire to rebuild. Even if they weren't already back, they were prepared to return. Their forced exhile will be extended and that must be incredibly damaging to an already battered psyche.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more flooding - how much can it really hurt?

It's much more of a morale blow.

The homes and businesses were already gone and no significant repairs were yet started in those devastated areas.

Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: more flooding - how much can it really hurt?

Time is money! How would you like to displaced from the

favorite chair in your house. It would not be much fun to

live on borrowed money because you can't go back to your

regular job. There is no place like home even if it is on your

on street corner.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more flooding - how much can it really hurt?

All valid points.