We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pics and Story from locals who helped

Louisiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Topic
Pics and Story from locals who helped

Some of the guys that went to the Gulfcoast to help out over the Labor Day weekend sent this out. When you click on the pictures if you change it to smaller view they load alot faster.

You've all certainly heard about Hurricane Katrina hitting Louisiana and Mississippi. New Orleans has turned into a tragic situation, but Mississippi actually had far, far worse damage. When I saw what happened on Tuesday, I gathered a few friends to drive down to help over the Labor Day weekend. Three friends and I left Thursday night and returned today.

We spent most of the time cutting trees with chainsaws and giving out food and water. It was the most horrific devastation you could ever imagine. The smell of death sat stale in the air, and there was no law. We actually arrived before the Red Cross, and we were the second civilian volunteers to show up.

We were told not to go, and we were told that it would be dangerous. But, the people on the coast were incredibly grateful, and we were simply told that we could do whatever we needed to do to protect ourselves. At the very beginning, an officer told us specifically to take guns and to shoot anyone if they attacked us. Carrying as many supplies as we were, we got some serious stares. At one point, my roommate had to ride on the trailer on the four-wheeler holding a gun to make sure people wouldn't loot us. It was awesome.

However, the death toll, in spite of what the news will say, is rising into the thousands. The day after we got there, a refrigerated tractor trailer showed up, a temporary morgue to stack the bodies. By the time we left, there were nine full trailers of bodies. You could smell them everywhere.

My family lost quite alot, and my uncle has been living in his former yard, at one point having to scavenge through the rubble for food. But, he's tough, and we've all made it. No one in my family died.

I thought y'all would like to see some of the pictures, even though they don't begin to capture the magnitude of the destruction.

Stewart

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

thanks DG, how do we get the pictures?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

It's not letting me post the picture link, I get the message "message body contains words longer than 140 characters"

They are worth seeing, I am trying to figure out a way to post the link from their photoalbum on here!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

Try Just giving the first part of the address with the .com part. We should be able to get to the pictures from the home page.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

Ok I have tried everything to get the pictures loaded I think I finally have it! I transferred them into my own album and you should be able to view. Be sure and click on launch slide show so you can read the captions under them. Please let me know if the link will not work for you.

dolphingirl

www.photoworks.com/share/shareLanding.jsp…

Sac, CA
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

Just wanted to let you know the link worked and thanks for sharing the photos!

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

Some of the pictures are not for the faint of heart. So just a little warning before viewing.

Deb

Louisiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

oahubound - you're welcome

Seektravel - I hope I didn't offend you. To be honest I'm not sure what you are talking about unless it's the chainsaw incident. Forgive me if I offended you (or others) with some of the pictures. I thought they captured the aftermath of Katrina from a group of college guys eyes.

After all the images and stories I've heard over the past couple of weeks nothing can shock me anymore. I wish none of us heard the chilling name "Katrina."

-dolphingirl

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

dolphingirl,

Do not worry you did NOT offend me. It takes a lot for one to offend me on here. I just wanted to put an R rating on a couple of pictures for those with weak stomachs! The dead alligator was a bit yucky and the stitches in the leg made my stomach have some butterflies!

Deb

milwaukee
Level Contributor
660 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

Thanks for sharing the pictures. At first I too was shocked by the picture of the dead alligator but then again it was nice to see the pictures from a non- newsreporter perspective.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
150 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pics and Story from locals who helped

I just tried to look at the photos and I got a message that said the album was no longer available. Bummer!! I would like to have seen them.