We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

Planning on coming to the lovely city of NO on Sunday. What s the word down there. I really want to go, do you think it is worth the trip?

baton rouge
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

The projected path of hurricane Katrina is new orleans at this time. our governer is going to make a press conference to let us know if there will be an evacuation notice.

AND most likely the new orleans residents will have to evacuate like they did with that last scare to new orleans.

SO in other words i'd stay in cali. LOL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

This is an easy one fro my perspective. No, do not arrive on Sunday. Reschedule your trip. Even if Katrina moves away from us, we'll still get enough residual effect to make it an unpleasant couple of days. If it's a direct hit, you do not want to be here.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
229 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

I know these things are hard to predict but we are due to arrive on Labor day. Should we look at rescheduling now? Need to decide quickly as we are due to leave on Wednesday (going to NY first).

Help always appreciated.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

No Raider,

Boarded up, packed and heading out. Your flight will most likely be cancelled.

baton rouge
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

Silver, that's a tough call. I too will arrive in New Olreans to enjoy the labor day weekend in NO. however, i'm only 1 hr away so I can cancel or whatnot.

I will wait to see what happens when this hurricane hits land fall.

If you can wait until tuesday and see what happens then go by that . otherwise I really don't know what to suggest.

this hurricane will most likely hit louisiana, and will do some damage to NO if it hits landfall as a cat. 4.

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

I called my airline and the hotel. Both told they would move my dates, but they both said no signs of evacuations, and no one had cancelled as of yet, and they were also sold out.. I have been through Cat 5's before, so I am still coming. It will take more than a little rain and wind to keep me anyway from NO.

Thanks everybody

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

Hurricanes in NOLA are different than other places, we are BELOW sea level. If we sustain a category 4, this entire area will be submerged under many feet of water for quite some time. Consider this, floating raw sewage, snakes, alligators, insects, etc...Not a pretty picture.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

Raiders, I really think this is a bad idea but it's your call. Remember that MANY restaurants and bars will be closed since they will have no staff! Your experience will not be the same, I'm afraid!

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

I am really getting conflicting reports. I have now called a couple of places in NO, and they all said, open for business and will be. Still no one has cancelled reservation and both hotels and Bars I called said no need to cancel. They even make sound weird that I am calling and asking if I should cancel.

Reading on here sounds like the town is packing up and moving?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we still Come? Damn Hurricane

Delta has cancelled all flights in/out of New Orleans on Sunday. I would expect other airlines to follow although Delta's the only one that's made a decision at this time.

Which hotel is telling you "business as usual?"