We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Itinerary Post Labor day

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Itinerary Post Labor day

My sister and I are celebrating our birthdays in NO and planned a low key vacation in the Big Easy from 9-7 to 9-11. We are staying at the Crescent City Guest House in the Faubourg Marigny. It is at Chartres and Marigny just a few blocks to the middle of the Frenchmen St. bars, music clubs and restaurants. Across the street from the guesthouse is a neigborhood bar called the Friendly Bar. It is open 24 hours. I will ask them to play Dark Lady by Cher on the internet jukebox.

Wednesday- Eating dinner at Feellings cafe at Chartres and Franklin. Just 3 blocks from the guesthouse. This is a local place in a very nice old building with a great piano player.

Head uptown on Magazine street to see the Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps Roule. They are a new style brass band. Saw them before with the Stooges Brass Band at Tipitina's

Thursday- Take walking tour of the French Quarter. Take tour at the Historic New Orleans Collection on Royal St. Grab a muffaletta from Central Grocery for lunch.

Have dinner at Brigtsen's. This will be my 4th visit here. I know I should try other places like Upperline but it is so good everytime. I hope the rabbit is on the menu.

Take a cab to Vaughn's Lounge in Bywater to hear Kermit Ruffins.

Friday- Rent a car and drive to Oak Alley plantation near Vacherie. Visit Laura plantation. Eat lunch at B&C seafood. Tour Destrahan Plantation.

No plans for dinner but will go to the Spotted Cat Cocktail Lounge on Frenchmen St. to hear the New Orleans Jazz Vipers.

Saturday- Tour the Garden District, ride the St. Charles Ave streetcar, visit Lafayette Cemetary #1 and go shopping on Magazine St. Have lunch at the Camellia Grill. I want to try their cheeseburgers. Their breakfast is great.

We will leave the rest of the day and night open and leave Sunday afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Historic New Orleans Collection
Historic New Orleans...
537 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Vacherie
Vacherie
Louisiana
The Camellia Grill
The Camellia Grill
1,047 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French QuarTour Kids
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Ernie's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
That Other Tour
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Walking Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours
home
Level Contributor
153 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Itinerary Post Labor day

I feel it is my duty to let you know to be extra careful. Some of the areas you are speaking of have had their share of crime. Stay alert to your surroundings

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Itinerary Post Labor day

Porcupine,

Sounds like you have a great visit planned. I love Feelings Cafe. And the New Orleans Historic Collection has a special exhibit on the Battle of New Orleans--very nice.

I don't think you'll have any safety problems in the areas you speak of. Just be alert to your surroundings in the Faubourg Marigny. Stay on the beaten path. You'll be okay in the Bywater area, since you're planning to take a cab.

Mentioned in this post
Feelings Cafe
Feelings Cafe
131 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Historic New Orleans Collection
Historic New Orleans...
537 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Itinerary Post Labor day

Agree with Southernmom. Cab is needed for the Bywater but the Marigny will be fine as the neighborhood has quite a bit of foot traffic these days.