We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in New Orleans

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Taxis in New Orleans

I have been reading how it is a good choice to take taxis around at night. I would like to know if taxis are expensive to take around the FQ. What is the drop on the meter, and what is the cost per mile? Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

NatFootball, your information is wrong.

Hewlett, New York
Level Contributor
678 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

Nat...Do not take a cab from point A in the quarter to point B also in the quarter. There is no reason what-so-ever that you can not walk from one end of the FQ to the other end. My hubby and I have been to NO many times and are returning in October. With the exception of the first trip when we stayed at La Pav, we've always been in the FQ and NEVER took a cab. And I'm talking 4AM, from House of Blues to Holiday Inn Chateau LeMoyne way on the other end. Granted my hubby is HUGE and not likely to be looked at cross eyed, but I have never felt threatened or nervous in any way when cruising the FQ.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

I think you friends heard wrong or something. The Fq is, for the most part, safe. Just use your brain when you are walking around at night. If you see an alley and you think, "Man, that looks like aplace where someone would get mugged." Don't go there. The place is almost always populated, people walking everywhere all hours of the night. Stay with the crowds. You should have a blast!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

Nat - Ditto to what they just said - but I would take a cab if you are by yourself late at night and not in an area where at least a few people are walking around, depending on how far you have to walk.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

Nat, I have been to New Orleans 30+ times and never had a problem in the Quarter. It is always very well populated. You don't need a taxi to travel around the Quarter. Just use common sense and don't wander down deserted streets. or flash your money around. If you are staying at a hotel out of the Quarter, you will need a taxi to get back to your hotel. Enjoy your trip - it is a beautiful and fascinating city.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

Nat, like I mentioned earlier, and everyone else has since mentioned, you don't have to take a cab to get around the FQ. My wife and I are both from Memphis, were there is plenty of crime, and neither of us feel uncomfortable walking around the FQ (or CBD, for that matter). I'm afraid your information is based upon an unfair stereotype. As long as you keep your eyes open, you'll be fine.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Taxis in New Orleans

Hey Nat,

What everyone is telling you here is worth repeating over and over again. Being a middle-aged woman with friends living in the Quarter, I sometimes have to walk several blocks all alone to get back to my car after visiting them, (parking in the Quarter is a real challenge). I have NEVER, not one single time, had even the slightest hint of a problem even in the middle of the night and I do not personally know anyone who has had any problems in the Quarter ever. NO is just like any other US city, if you go flashing cash and stumbling around drunk, you have a chance of attracting a mugger, otherwise you should be just fine. For what it's worth.