We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A note to DA35 & LynnP...

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
A note to DA35 & LynnP...

DA: Giving "A Confederacy of Dunces" another read. Having now visited NO, I think I will have a bit more understanding. Thanks for the encouragement.

LynnP, thanks for the recc on Fat White Vampire. Am going after that book now.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

Confed is better on 2nd read, especially after you have experienced Lucky Dog vendors firsthand. I relish how Ignatius calls them 'savories'. He's a real piece of work.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

Jimmy, I hope you like the book. I wasn't able to find it at my local Barnes & Noble. I had to order it from B&N's website. As a reminder, the author is Andrew Fox. Let me know your opinion after you read it.

OKC
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

Jimmyk64,

I think you would love James Lee Burke books based on the Dave Robicheaux character.

Good luck with Confederacy. Each new time I read it, the characters (and their unique quirks) became more clear to me.

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

LOL - Having read all the recommendations of books on here I have tried to get some of them - Fat white vampire blues in particular, but they aren't available in England!

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

LynnP...Just finished Fat White Vampire Blues. Really liked it. Wasn't a ha-ha funny story to me, but was truly entertained. I think Andrew Fox can spin a fine yarn, so now I'm waiting for Bride of Fat White Vampire. I sure hope she's not Veronika!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

Hi Jimmyk, I'm glad you liked the book. I'm not going to tell you who the bride is. Doodlebug is back again in the second book, along with some unexpected characters and "sidekicks".

I checked Andrew Fox's website, and I don't think he's coming out with a third vampire book anytime soon. I think he is mainly working on science fiction stuff now. Of course, I would probably buy all his books if they are set in New Orleans.

home
Level Contributor
153 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

I thought this was Trip Adviser..................not book review

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

I enjoy the comments about books and movies set in New Orleans. I think for those of us who don't live in New Orleans but only get to visit there, the books and movies just bring back some of the memories of time spent there and increase our anticipation of returning. Not a bad thing!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

Nolalady, I realize my post was off-topic and this isn't a book review site. But, the book itself is set in New Orleans. I had previously asked jimmyk to let me know his thoughts after reading it. I don't think we'll end up with long threads of discussion on the topic. As Someone123 mentioned, those of us who live in other states enjoy hearing about books and movies that are set in your great city. I'm actually very envious of the you (and all the other local residents) who post regularly on this board.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A note to DA35 & LynnP...

LynnP,

Do NOT take that criticism seriously, that person regularly uses Trip Advisor as a forum to facilitate an increase in the income of hotel concierges by blatantly suggesting tipping them. They are already receiving a paycheck from the hotel and, in some instances, kick-backs from the tour operators they refer hotel guests to, thus, they need no free advertising here. The posts regarding the books are not offensive or inappropriate in any way, so please continue, many of us out here appreciate your posts.