We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronunciations....

Hartford...
Level Contributor
519 posts
56 reviews
Pronunciations....

Okay, now that it looks like my upcoming October first NO visit is back on again (Thank you Gustav for sparing the city as Katrina cancelled my 2005 visit), I'm curious about the pronunciation of the city--I want to get it right.

(I remember when visiting San Francisco--I learned it was a BIG no-no to say 'Frisco').

I've heard so many pronunications from the media while covering the hurricane. So what is it:???

N'war-lins";

Nuh'ORR-lenz;

Noo aw-lins or

new or-lee-yuns

Let me know and this Connecticut gal will try to pronounce it right :-)

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Pronunciations....

I don't think they'll mind if you pronounce is any of the above ways or any other way for that matter, as long as you spend your money & lots of it to help the economy, between recuperating from Katrina & now Gustav, there will be lots of money needed by the locals to get back in business.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Pronunciations....

The only one that doesn't cut it is "Nuh'ORR-lenz."

Here's more than you EVER wanted to know. . . .

"New" = "noo" (very rarely "nyoo").

OR-linz or ORL-yinz -- 2 syllables, with r-coloring.

AW-linz, AWL-yunz, or AW-yunz -- 2 syllables, without r-coloring (so-called "dropped Rs").

OR-lee-inz -- 3 syllables, with r-coloring.

AW-lee-inz -- 3 syllables, without r-coloring.

I've heard a few Uptown types (including Cokie Roberts) say "noo OY-yunz."

"Orleans" is pronounced with a 2nd syllable stress ("or-LEENZ") only when referring to Orleans Parish, Orleans Street, the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel, or the song "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans."

The only people who use the exaggerated "NAW-linz" are CNN news anchors and local TV personality Frank Davis.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
519 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Pronunciations....

Thanks for the rundown, SlateNYC. I don't think there is another other place in this country with soooo many different pronunciations. I think I'll just refer to their 'fine city' when talking with locals :-)

I've been practicing with some of the streets: Tchoupitoulas (chop-ih-TOO-LIS); Chartres(CHAW-tuhs); Calliope (CAL-lee-ope). I think they may come in handy when getting directions.

I'm so looking forward to my trip!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Pronunciations....

Violet, don't forget EYE-bur-vile and bur-GUN-dee :-)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Pronunciations....

..and it's a "streetcar", not a "trolley".

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
287 posts
237 reviews
6. Re: Pronunciations....

you could just say Nola...just don't say the Big Easy!

Lake Wales, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Pronunciations....

And Toulouse is TOO-LOOSE! I'll be in town for halloween too!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
122 reviews
8. Re: Pronunciations....

Don't even think of Calliope.

9. Re: Pronunciations....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 08, 2009