We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

Hello: Going in a day to New Orleans with my husband and we are wondering where do the locals like to eat? We want some good local cajun food...shrimp, oysters, gumbo, sausage, etc....we are tired of the overrated tourist traps. Husband is from Shreveport and wants to know where the locals like to hang and eat at. Any suggestions would be apprecaited. Thank you and happy travels to all!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

As a general rule, locals typically frequent the Uptown, Garden District (plus Metairie, Westbank, and other residential areas) eateries more so than anywhere else. Unless you live in the French Quarter or work in the CBD, locals rarely head to the Quarter/Warehouse District/CBD for food unless it's for a special occasion and/or there are visitors in town.

If you head to Magazine St, the Riverbend area, and Mid-city you'll definitely find more locals.

New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

OTOH...I'm a local who doesn't live in the Quarter, but I eat there all the time...as well as the other areas you mentioned.

I don't think it's enough, travelwblondie, to ask where the locals eat. I routinely eat at lots of places I wouldn't necessarily recommend to someone who only had one or two dinner opportunities here in New Orleans. Tell us what you consider the overrated tourist traps and would have a basis to start from.

Where are you staying? How far are you willing to travel to get to those "local" hangouts?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

Here's one other addition to Ashton's comments.....New Orleans is not known for Cajun food. Good Cajun restaurants are few and far between. Did you mean to ask about good Creole food, which can be found all over New Orleans?

www.frenchquarter.com/dining/creolecajun.php

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

We all have our own favorites, but here's my list of places that are well known and worth it: Clancy's, Galatoire's, Commander's, Palace Cafe, Pelican Club. Find Tommy's Cuisine in the warehouse district, go to the bar side and order the oysters bienville. One order each if you like oysters - they're excellent. FYI, the restaurant is too loud. Austin's is in Metairie and a friend (who's palette I trust) told me recently, "if it were uptown or in the quarter, people would go crazy about it." Go to Tony Angello's and just say "Feed Me" when it's time to order. The food just keeps coming. Wait can be long so just plan for it and have some drinks in the bar. Cafe Degas on Esplanade is low key and casual, but unique. Near the airport is a place called "The Harbor" - awesome seafood. The crawfish omelette at La Peniche (reviewed on TripAdvisor) is awesome, too.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

I have to quickly chime in. Pelican Club is terrible service-wise at least the time we went there. The waiter didn't want to deal with us and we ended up leaving. That has been the only time we have gotten terrible service in New Orleans.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

Leaving out uptown etc and a lot of great places-just the garden district and french quarter & Warehouse our favorites are:

Italian: Irene's, Tommy's, Cafe Giovanni, Carmelo's

Steak: Dickie Brennan's, Delmonico

Creole: Arnauds, Olivier's

Best Buy Cajun etc: Coop's

Others: Mr. B's, GW Fins, and even the Gumbo Shop.

ANd I'm sure I forgot many.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

And I did forget a real favorite: Muriel's

8. Re: Where Do the Locals Like to Eat??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 01, 2009