We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

We're getting hitched in May in the big easy.

Any suggestions about where to do it, how to find an officiant and photographer would be MUCH appreciated.

We will not have any guests, and are on a tight budget so a wedding planner is not a possibilty. We'll be staying at the Maison Dupuy, but they charge $400 for an hour in their courtyard which seems like alot.

We were thinking of doing it in Audobon Park or a courtyard. Somewhere pretty.

Thanks!!

canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

I'm doing the same in August. Sorry that you didn't get any responses. Maybe you can help me though. Any thoughts?

south
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

I did that 7 years ago. I used the Ponchetrain hotel. It was not perfect as I was on a budget and as I chose to hand the whole thing over to the hotel, but it was wonderful and I would recommend it. The hotel is in an area that felt very safe except late at night. It is also right at a trolley stop. It is a charming old hotel and they handled the flowers, a harp, the minister, a luncheon for 10, the cake, a hair stylist (from a salon across the street) and a photographer. I will look up the photographer at home tonight and give you his info. He did a great job very reasonably. We were married on a Sunday. You must by your license between 9 & 4 on a week-day. Getting to the place to get the license was an adventure and we had to flirt heavily with the officials to get the license as we slid through the doors right before close. (A girlfriend went with me to get the license and the groom didn't have to show up until the following day!)

Don't forget that LA offers covenant marriages. You should study this and discuss it with your future spouse prior to the ceremony.

GOOD LUCK and

ENJOY

New Orleans
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

The response about the Pontchartrain hotel reminded me of the Columns Hotel. Old mansion on St. Charles that's now a small hotel with a great old fashioned bar & veranda.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
284 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

The Columns Hotel is a nice idea. Or City Park's Botanical Gardens (May is a great time for an outdoor wedding here). If you don't want a religious ceremony, there are lots of local judges who regularly perform weddings.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

we're getting married in May 2006, our story is identical to yours. we're staying at the place d'armes and the use of the courtyard is free. we're also considering jackson square and city park. what did you end up doing? who officiated and took pix and how much did it all cost?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

A great place to look for photographers is WPJA.com I am a photographer and a member there and that's a selective directory that you have to qualify to get listed, so the folks there are pretty good.

Some photographers have high prices set for those big all-day weddings, but go ahead and contact them anyway and tell them exactly what you have in mind and ask for their best price for an "elopment' or "intimate" wedding. I know my minimum price is listed at $3k+ but if you are calling for a date that I haven't sold yet, and it's within the next month, I'll do my best to come up with a "deal."

P.S. A local photographer might have some great ideas for elopement spots. I know that when folks call me in Maine, I can give them lots of good ideas.

Pittsburgh
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need ideas on where to elope in New Orleans

I've seen numerous weddings in the courtyard of The Chateau Hotel on St. Phillip. It's beautiful!