We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Our trip to New Orleans for Memorial Day weekend was much different than our prior trips in that it was very relaxed. Of course, we had plans for almost every minute of every day, just as we always do, but we failed to execute our plan. We've been on the go and on the road for the past two months. When we hit New Orleans, we simply ran out of steam. But, surprisingly, it was one of our more enjoyable visits to New Orleans.

We arrived at the B&B around 8:00 Friday night. After greeting our hosts and dropping off our luggage, we headed for Frenchmen St. so I could make an appointment at Electric Ladyland for Saturday. The artist I wanted was completely booked for Saturday, so I had to schedule for Sunday.

After booking my appointment, we headed across the street to the Spotted Cat to listen to the New Orleans Jazz Vipers. Although the place was jammed, we managed, through some miracle, to score three seats at the bar. While we were sitting there, we saw a second line parade going down Frenchmen St. You gotta love New Orleans. Since I had driven more than 400 miles that day, I was dragging, so we decided to call it quits around midnight.

The next morning (Saturday), we had breakfast, laid around the B&B and chatted with the other guests, then headed over to Bayou Boogaloo around 11:00. Although the band lineup looked pretty good, the heat and humidity were fearsome, so we stayed until 1:00 and headed for the air conditioning.

We then went back to Frenchmen St., where we had lunch at the Marigny Brasserie. The meal was good but not great, and I thought it was a bit overpriced for what we had. In some other city, I may have given the place higher marks, but not in New Orleans. I doubt that we'll be back.

We walked over to The John and had a few beers. One of our group expressed a desire to walk down Bourbon St., which is not something we normally do, but he hadn't been in years, so we decided to accommodate him. We weren't expecting much, but we happened upon the Blues Club, where Rooster and the Chicken Hawks were playing, so we went in and spent a few enjoyable hours listening to them. Rooster still puts on a great show.

About 7:00 or so, Stephanie and I left the younger folks and headed to Venezia's on Carrolton for dinner. Venezia's is a neighborhood restaurant of the old New Orleans tradition. What a meal!! I had the best spaghetti and meat sauce I've ever had in a restaurant, and Stephanie's lasagna was also that good. We had planned to head down to Frenchmen St. that night to catch Smokey Greenwell at Cafe Negril, but, after a meal like that, we didn't feel like doing anything but going back to the porch swing, which we did.

Sunday was a lazy day. After the normal morning breakfast and conversation, I went to Electric Ladyland at 1:00 for my appointment, and Stephanie decided to spend some time on the porch swing, reading. When I returned about 3:30, we were both hungry, so we went to Mandina's for a late lunch (or early dinner). This was my first visit to Mandina's since they reopened after Katrina. I immediately noticed that the prices were considerably higher than I remembered. But, in their defense, the portions are huge. We split an entree and I had a house salad, which was more than enough food. The food is still delicious and the waiters are the same old crew, for the most part. I'm still trying to decide if I like the new layout.

After lunch/dinner, a trip to Angelo Brocato's was in order. The last time I had Angelo Brocato's ice cream was about 35 years ago, when the establishment was located on Ursulines, at the present location of Croissant D'Or. Back in those days, the ice cream was always wonderful, but it was usually preceded by some "appetite enhancer." I'm happy to report that it's still wonderful, even without the appetite enhancer. The number of people going in and out of that place on a Sunday afternoon was amazing.

We spent the rest of the afternoon just riding around different areas of New Orleans and taking in the sights. We turned in early because we had to drive home on Monday.

As I noted earlier, it was a different kind of trip for us. We had a great time, even though we didn't get out and do much. We'll make up for it next time <smile>

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Great report! Thanks...

"

After lunch/dinner, a trip to Angelo Brocato's was in order. The last time I had Angelo Brocato's ice cream was about 35 years ago, when the establishment was located on Ursulines, at the present location of Croissant D'Or. Back in those days, the ice cream was always wonderful, but it was usually preceded by some "appetite enhancer." I'm happy to report that it's still wonderful, even without the appetite enhancer. The number of people going in and out of that place on a Sunday afternoon was amazing."

Where is this? Mid-City? Since I never have a car when I visit, what's the best way to get there via public transportation?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Yep, it's Mid-City. Angelo Brocato's is on Carrollton, about 1/2 block off Canal, going towards City Park Museum of Art. The Canal St. streetcar will get you there. I can't remember if the streetcar turns on Carrollton but, even if it does, I'd suggest getting off at Canal and Carrollton. Angelo Brocato's is just a couple of hundred yards from that stop.

http://www.angelobrocatoicecream.com/

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Awesome trip report! You made it to two of our favorite spots, Mandina's and Angelo Brocato's!

The new layout at Mandina's is a little different, but we don't mind it so much...and yes, the prices have gone up (still cash only!) but they've got to make back the ton of money they put into the renovation! What used to be the kitchen is now the "pantry" and they have an entirely new kitchen in the back. We managed to get there the second night it reopened, and in one of those "only in New Orleans" moments, my then-91-year-old father-in-law "ran into" a former classmate, who was sitting by himself eating his poboy and drinking his Barq's! Such a small town...

Interesting note about Angelo Brocato's...while your post mentioned ice cream, I'd also like to add that their ices are fabulous, especially now that it's heating up...my favorite is lemon! And one of our traditional Thanksgiving desserts are the mini-cannoli. The store reopened in the fall of 2006 and the line to get in was unbelievable!

But we were happy at Thanksgiving that year...we had a new kitchen, a place to sit and eat, and to finally enjoy our usual dessert from Brocato's!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Casey, in addition to my ice cream, I had a rum something-or-other. I can't recall if it was a tart or a cake or a roll. Whatever the name, it was swimming in rum sauce. It was the only one left in the pan, so I had the clerk pour the remaining rum sauce over it. Yum!!!

We love the Mid-City area. We enjoy staying in a quiet neighborhood, sitting on the porch swing, and speaking with the neighbors as they walk by on the sidewalk, within spitting distance. Talk about New Orleans moments!!

There are so many great restaurants out there and, with the notable exception of Christian's, they've almost all reopened and are going strong.

I do understand the preference of some folks to stay in the French Quarter, but Mid-City has long been our preferred location.

By the way, there's a new place one block off Canal, just behind Mandina's, named the Ruby Slipper. It's open for breakfast and lunch.

bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/…restreview.php

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

Indeed a great report. Thanks!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

How about some details about the tattoo?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

LOL...this one was tame.......an American flag on a staff, flying in the breeze, with one wave. It's on my upper right arm.

While I was there, I had my wife's name tattooed on my ring finger, under my wedding band. My wedding band is more than 1/4 inch wide, so the tattoo is only visible when I remove the band.

After 35 years, it's hard for me to surprise her, but I scored with that one <smile>. What the heck......I suppose I'll keep her.

As for the tattoos, I believe I'm done for a while......unless the urge hits me again, of course.

8. Re: Trip Report - Memorial Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 29, 2009