We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional advice re: lodging options

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, CA
6 posts
Save Topic
Additional advice re: lodging options

Any input on:

Melrose Mansion

Hotel Royale

Rivers Inn

Soniat House

Maison de Ville

Maison Perrier

or other suggestions? I have read the tripadvisor reviews, but would love to hear opinions from locals. Many thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Additional advice re: lodging options

I'm personally not a fan of the group that owns Melrose, Rivers Inn and Hotel Royal. I've read too many stories about "bait and switch" tactics where you don't get what you thought you would. Apparently they have great websites and the product doesn't always match it -or- you get "bumped" to inferior rooms or properties.

A friend of mine described the Hotel Royal as the "most she's ever paid for very little."

Love Maison de Ville and Soniat House. Double check reviews on this site but I can't imagine many of them being bad.

Maison Perrier is Uptown, no? Kinda far from the FQ, esp. if you were considering B&W Courtyards in the Marigny first.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Additional advice re: lodging options

Maison de Ville would be my choice. I like Soniat House, but some things about them irk me and strike me as a bit cheap: like paying $23 for coffee and biscuits in the morning right after you've already paid $200, $300, $400 + per night to sleep.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Additional advice re: lodging options

I'm with Milhouse on this one. That IS cheap! I forgot they changed that. The breakfast used to be included.

Bay Area, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Additional advice re: lodging options

Thank you kindly for the input! That was precisely my concern re: Melrose Group hotels... the ol' looks better on the web than it actually is trick.

Given the choice between B&W Courtyards and Maison de Ville, which would you recommend?

My added concern is that I will probably be travelling alone. Would it be safe for me to walk around in the early evening? (I know better than to booze it up and wander aimlessly in the wee hours).

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Additional advice re: lodging options

I just answered the question fo another. Click my name a you will find my recent post that will answer your question and maybe more.