We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Swamp Tour

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
586 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Best Swamp Tour

The best swamp tour is hands down Lil Cajun Swamp Tours. Capt. Cyrus grew up in the swamp and his family still lives there. We got closer to a 3 hour tour and you could tell how much he loved this area.

When we were there at the end of the tour he brought out his pet alligator for all who wanted to hold her and get a picture.

Definately a hands-on tour!!

www.lilcajunswamptours.com

You won't be disappointed!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Swamp Tour

It would seem that good swamp tours abound! I love Chacahoula, you like Lil Cajun and several people have posted that they like Honey Island. It's nice to know visitors have good choices and there's something for everyone. Cheers!

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
586 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Swamp Tour

You're right. I guess each person's favorite tour is the one they went on and had great memories. I know I haven't had the opportunity to check out more than one.

Anyways, have a great 4th!! Check out some fireworks and bbq somewhere!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Swamp Tour

You can't say one tour is the best "hands down" since you haven't tried them all! I've been on a few and I prefer the Honey Island over all others but freely admit that there are probably other great ones out there.

Thanks for the info on Lil Cajun. I'll keep it mind for when more of my Canadian relatives-in-law come down!

home
Level Contributor
153 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Swamp Tour

It depends on what you like and how much time you have. If you want to see the swamp with the thrill of speed, take anairboat tour with either Louisiana Tours or New Orleans Airboats. If you wish to see the swamp and plantations, hands down take Cajun Pride as they will save you some time and money as they are very near the plantations and are located in the Manchac Swamp, which is one of the largest and their site is very ecologically preserved and a very pristine swamp. Whatever you do, remember you do not save time and/or money by driving on your own, let them pick you up at your hotel. With the price of gas, getting to the swamp can be a larger expense than you realize. Don't even think of takng a taxi.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Swamp Tour

Actually, nolalady you can save money with some of the tours if you provide your own transportation.

Dr. Wagner's, for instance, is $45 with pickup or just $20-25 if you drive yourself. For 2 people you save at least $40, far outweighing the gas costs. Granted, it's much easier to have them do the transportation but for those with cars the "self-transportation" is worth considering.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Swamp Tour

I agree CajunW. I especially think the plantation tours are best done by car. The tour schedules are, understandably quite restrictive. Sometimes you just want to loll away the day meandering around the grounds of the plantations, getting some drinks or a nibble (where avaialble), taking photos, or taking little side roads to do some interesting shopping or sightseeing. I've found some pretty interesting/amusing diversions and have met some endearing people while getting lost on the country roads.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Swamp Tour

I looked into this tour company....sounded pretty good until I realized that the size of the boat was much larger than what I was looking for. Seats around 67 (?) I'm looking for a tour that has much smalled seating...around 20. The smaller the boat...the "deeper" into the bayou.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Swamp Tour

Chacahoula boats are the smallest I've seen. I would be surprised if they can accommodate more than 20. I've never been on one that had more than a dozen people on it.