We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
travel123
2 posts
Save Topic
Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

I'm travelling to NO for the first time this summer to attend a conference at the convention center. As I’m a woman travelling alone I'd like to stay in a safe area close to attractions. Can anyone offer advice if it’s best to stay close to the convention center or in the French Quarter. I was considering the Country Inn & Suites FQ. Would this be a good base for exploring the city or does anyone have another suggestion? Any help appreciated.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

If you want to stay 'close to attractions', I would suggest the French Quarter. That is where most of the action is at, restaurants, clubs, etc. If you stay in the Quarter, the convention center is a short walk away or you could even catch the Riverfront Street car if you don't want to walk.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

Both the Warehouse District (convention area) and French Quarter are safe, touristy places. They are also very close to each other (5-10 minutes apart walking distance), so no matter where you stay, you'll be close by to the other.

The main issue is that at night the side streets around the Convention Center tend to empty out, so as a single female myself, I don't feel comfortable walking alone at night.

The Country Inn and Suites is not in the French Quarter proper (it's in Warehouse District a few blocks outside) and may fall into this category because even though it's only 2 blocks from Harrah's, the side streets surrounding the hotel like Gravier and Common tend to be not as populated. Cabs are fairly cheap, so it's no problem taking a quick cab ride back, if you want to stay at the hotel.

Staying in the French Quarter gives you more flexibility. It usually stays crowded through the day and night, and I feel safer walking alone in this area at night too. Plus, you'll be in the middle of the action, too.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

I would stay in or very near the Quarter and ride the streetcar or taxi to your convention sight. It shouldn't be more than a short walk, less than a mile depending on where you stay. Give your dates and we can make a few suggestions.

New Orleans
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

The Country Inn and Suites is a beautiful property. View the comments posted. Just a short walk to all major attractions including the French Quarter and Convention Center.

travel123
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

Thanks to all for your comments they have been really helpful. I'll be in NO the first week of July. Based on what you've said I think I'll stay in the French Quater as I'd prefer to stay somewhere where the streets won't be too quite in the late evenings/night. Anyone any hotel suggestion (3-4 *)

Wainwright
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

No question, stay in the quarter. I just got back from a convention and stayed at the Monteleone. We absolutely loved it.

We had a lower room in the old part of the hotel and we thought it was just perfect. Not large rooms, but high vaulted ceilings and a real nostalgic flair. Great rooftop pool and the carousel bar was neat too.

As for location, I'm not sure there is a better one (for an oldie style hotel). One block off Canal and a block off Bourbon. Didn't notice much noise off Bourbon and the walk to the convention center was 15 min (20 min to the far end).

By the time the convention was over everything we wanted to do was near the quarter anyways so it made sense to stay there. We took trips out from the quarter and made use of the streetcars - again just 1 block away (or two if you wanted to go down St.Charles).

Do a search for hotels in the posts - tons of info already posted.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

For 3.5-star, reasonably priced hotels in the Quarter with great location, I would try the Iberville Suites and Astor Crowne Plaza. They are close to Harrah's/Convention Center too. Using Hotwire and Bookit.com, and you'll be able to get great rates.

If you're looking for the 4 star range, I would try the Monteleone, Omni Royal Orleans and Royal Sonesta. These are all fantastic, full-service luxury hotels, and you should be able to get decent rates during the summer (less than $200).

For 2-3 star good hotels, I'd try the Prince Conti or Dauphine Orleans.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

I stayed with my hubby in March '08 for a convention at the Hilton Riverside and it was located in a nce, safe area. It was close to the Harrahs, the River Walk, tthe Quarters, he Mall and the streetcars. I walked around by myself during the day in & around the French Quarters but at night maybe you should take taxis as some streets in the Quarters are quite dark. I am going again in July and will be staying at the Monteleone in the Quarters as my kids are going and can barely walk 2 blocks without complaining about being tooooo far!!! Have fun.

9. Re: Whey to stay - Conference Centre v French Quarter Districts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 25, 2009