We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swamp tours

peoria, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Swamp tours

Any recommendations regarding swamp tours within an hour of N.O.. We would like to see lots of gators and other animals, maybe touch one.

Thanks.

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Food Tours
The Voodoo Bone Lady Haunted Tours
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Gear Rentals, Historical & Heritage Tours
California Hot...
Level Contributor
5 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swamp tours

Honey Island Swamp Tours is the absolute best.

Eugene
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swamp tours

I agree, Honey Island Swamp Tour is great! Wear a hat, as you are in an open boat.

If you want to touch an alligator, Cajun Critters Swamp Tour catches one while you are on the boat! It is also a very entertaining tour. If you go to Westwego, don't miss the Jean Lafitte Bataraia National Park. You can walk through the swamp on raised trails and see several alligators.

Dayton Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Swamp tours

I took an airboat tour while I was in New Orleans, it was interesting, but not really worth the extra money, just do the boat tour. I don't know about the boat tour, but the airboat tour is actually in marshland, not a swamp. I have been in a swamp in South Carolina, and I know the difference. We did see an alligator about 3 feet long and the tour guide caught it and brought it on boat to show us. We also saw a swamp rat, they have another name for it, but it looks just like a rat. The tour was interesting, but over priced at $55 a head.

I have been to NO 4 times now, and my favorite tours are of the Garden district, and the cemeteries, especially St Louis #1.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swamp tours

Small boats able to get into the tight areas of the swamp, no loud microphones, friendly family-owned, not too far away from the city, Chacahoula Swamp Tours. Hotel pick-up. 800-299-7861. If you Google Chacahoula Swamp Tours, you'll find websites with reviews from other people too.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swamp tours

PS. Your "touching" question. One of the times I took a swamp tour, I and one other passenger put our arm in the H2o and touched the back of an alligator and held it by the foot. My daughter thought I was NUTS, probably true, but it was one of the most exciting things I've ever done. For obvious reasons, I'm sure this is not on the list of permissable activities, but I just had to do it. We also saw some children actually swimming in that water and were told that the prevailing theory among the residents there is if they do not feed the gators, the gators will not think of them as a food source (hmm, I'm told gators have a brain the size of a lima bean, don't really think they use much logical reasoning when it comes to food sources) I'm

not looney enough to swim with them, LOL.