We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers -- tips and such

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lancaster
8 posts
Save Topic
First Timers -- tips and such

Hi.

I'm from California, and I've never been to New Orleans, and have always wanted to go. My husband and I are finally going for our anniversary. It isn't until March, but I'm trying to look around and plan ahead. I guess they're having a convention the weekend we're going to be there, so many hotels are already getting booked, and the prices are a tad inflated.

We're looking for something under $150 a night (hopefully around $100?), but fairly nice, since it IS our anniversary. I'd love to stay in a bed and breakfast that's got the "old-fashioned" look to it.

We are mostly into the history, the mansions and plantations, ghost stories, etc. I would really like to stay in the Garden District, so we can just go for a walk and look at and take photos of all of these old places and cemeteries and such.

Any tips on places to stay and things to do for people who don't drink and don't go clubbing?

How far is the Garden District from the French Quarter? Within walking distance?

Also, what is the weather therelike in March? How humid is it? I live in the desert, so it's very very dry here.

Also, any vegetarian places to eat?

Thanks so much!! ;)

wilmington de
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers -- tips and such

My husband and I visited NO this month. We are not drinkers nor clubbers, either. I can't help you as far as a old-fashioned hotel or b&b since we stayed in the Sheraton. I can, however, give you some other info. The garden district is absolutely beautiful, but not within walking distance of the French Quarter. You can take the streetcar on St. Charles to travel to the French Quarter. I think the cost was $1.25. The Garden district has some beautiful hotels but I don't know if they fall into your price range. If you do visit the Garden District, be sure to visit Lafayette Cemetery if you are into history, ghosts, etc. When I visited there last year, there was a local giving impromptu tours. There was no set cost, but everyone tipped him at the end. In the French Quarter, there are several homes open for touring. I have visited the Gallier house and the Hermann-Grima house. There is also Beauregard house, which I have not visited and the Ursuline convent. B aware, many of the historic sites are not open on Monday and plan accordingly. Be sure to visit St. Louis Cathedral. We also took a grayline tour to Oak Alley plantation but didn't feel it was worth the cost. Too much time spent on the bus and too little at the plantation.

wilmington de
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers -- tips and such

Forgot to say, if you are into Swamp tours, I have done Cajun Encounters Honey Island swamp tour twice and enjoyed it both times. I don't know what the weather is like in March, there since both times I visited in the summer. Hot as --. But I'm sure you will be receiving much ,much more info from the local expert, Cajun Wave. He is the greatest and although I am not planning another trip to NO at this time, I come to the site just to read his input. Have fun planning your trip . Be sure to visit the NO websites and order a good times guide. there are some great coupons in it for meals, trips, etc.