We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "other" St. Patrick's parade

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
The "other" St. Patrick's parade

Anyone who misses the Saturday parade, or wants to venture to "Old Metry", there is the Metairie Road St. Patrick's day parade on Sunday. Starts at noon and winds down Metairie Road (aka "Metry Road") on a 2-lane, oak-lined neighborhood thoroughfare.

Our entire family is riding, and I'm worn out shopping for throws! We've got cabbage, peanuts, beads (of course), stuffed animals (for friends of the kids), various other produce and food, and for my in-laws, Irish Spring soap ;0)

It's a large group of floats, trucks, and marching groups...the cabbages will be flying!

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The "other" St. Patrick's parade

We were there in 2007, it was a great time. Even took home vegetables for a boiled dinner all the way to Maine. Missed it this year, because our trip got moved to may, but hope to be back in '09.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "other" St. Patrick's parade

maine bear...I do remember giving you suggestions as to where to park and see that parade last year. Glad to hear that you were lucky enough to catch some produce!

Here's an update from the parade, and in case any of you fellow posters and/or readers haven't ridden in a parade, or are just curious about what it's like, my "parade report":

Weather was PERFECT, temps in the 70's, not a cloud in the sky and NO HUMIDITY (another good hair day for me).

We (our family of four) rode with 20 friends, starting with daughter's 6 friends from school, some of their parents, siblings, and friends.

This was our first ride together, although DH and I have ridden separately (he in Jefferson parish, myself in Muses), and daughter several years ago in a the Jeff parish kiddie parade "Little Rascals". Six year old son basically didn't sleep for two nights and was spinning in circle for days leading up to the parade! As a family, it was a first and totally a blast!

As previously noted, we were well-prepared with lots of throws. We pre-ordered 300 pounds (yes, that's three hundred pounds) of cabbage which was delivered to the truck the night before the parade. Cabbage is the throw most in demand, followed by any type of food. The surprising thing was that the microwave popcorn went over so well! (that was actually closer to the end of the parade route...I think the beer and cocktails finally kicked in for everyone along the route, and they were thinking ahead to when they got home and started feeling hungry ;-)

Highlights and/or memorable moments: when the guy under the bridge raised his shirt, showed his rather large belly totally covered in tatoos, demanded some Irish Spring soap, and my friend and I threw the soap along with several nice beads and begged him to put his shirt down! Another guy in the same spot wanted the biggest beads we displayed. Not about to give up a substantial investment to a total stranger, I did offer some very nice (and not too cheap) beads, and he then offered up several Jello shots, along with a demand that we "toast" him in thanks for the beads.

12-year-old and all of her friends were met by several friends along the route...they were definitely generous with their girlfriends, kind of scary seeing how they looked their male classmates in the eye and threw nothing! (I'm not ready for the teenage years)

My biggest disappointment was when my 6-year-old threw a rather unique throw that I had been saving since Mardi Gras...a large pickle, preserved in it's original retail packaging. I didn't have a particular person in mind when throwing, but at some point I noticed that it was missing! My son advised me that he threw it, and when I asked "why" he told me it's because he threw the stuffed Dalmation that he'd been saving for his girlfriend :(

This won't be an annual event for all of us, but as locals, we enjoyed something that many local families will do on occasion. Riding and making a "connection" with friends, relatives, neighbors, and total strangers is really what any ride is all about.

Hope everyone reading this post is able to either see or ride at some time...it's a 'once-in-a-lifetime" experience!

3. Re: The "other" St. Patrick's parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 23, 2009