We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does a crawfish taste like?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
50 helpful votes
What does a crawfish taste like?

Hi all,

I am wondering: what does a crawfish taste like? It looks like a mini lobster, which is what I'm used too here in the Maratimes in Canada, but I'm assuming the taste is nothing like it. Does it compared to another shellfish/seafood?? Txs for info!

(a year & 3 weeks to go b4 my 1st trip to NO! I know, I know, it's going to be a long countdown) :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
86 reviews
132 helpful votes
1. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

That's such a great and hard question, and I'd have to say crawfish taste almost like a lobster, but chewier than a shrimp.

It's hard to find plain crawfish in New Orleans, though. Unlike most boiled lobsters that usually retain the "lobster" flavor, most crawfish soak up the spices as they are being prepared, either boiled, cooked in a stew, fried, etc...

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

Txs! If it has a lobster kinda, sort of taste, can't be that bad! Can't wait to taste it.... such a long wait still. :)

Txs again!

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
3. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

I remember passing a place on Conti -- either Oceana Grill or a door or two above it? -- that was advertising "buckets" of crawfish for a special price. I never tried the bucket because I was travelling alone, but it might be a fun thing to try with a group.

I'm flashing on a movie -- with Dennis Quaid of the terrible accent -- with a scene of an outdoor party. They berled the crawfish and literally poured it in a pile right on the table for people to dig into with their hands.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
13 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

IMHO, most shellfish/seafood doesn't really have a particular "flavor", rather, it takes on the flavor during preparation. I would imagine that if we cooked some crawfish with a lobster, the crawfish wouldn't have too much taste...and I'd probably dip those same crawfish into the clarified butter along with the lobster before eating them!

The best part of eating crawfish is the flavor that goes with it...and depending on who's boiling (and therefore seasoning) the crawfish, it can be merely well-seasoned, or it can get really hot and spicy! After you peel the tail and eat it, you MUST try "sucking" the head at least once...it's not gross at all, you're simply tasting the juice from the boil combined with some of the fat from the crawfish.

Also good to eat along with crawfish are the other foods that might get thrown into the pot...common foods are potatoes and small ears of corn, but I've also had bits of smoked sausage, mushrooms, and cabbage. The mushrooms were great, but the thin pieces of cabbage REALLY absorbed the spices in the boil, and I don't care for my food that spicy!

A really popular tradition on Good Friday is for families to gather for crawfish boils. You can either do the boil yourself, or (as our family does) you go to your favorite seafood store and buy crawfish by the pound. We usually call ahead and reserve ours...and as with certain holidays, you can definitely expect a wait after taking your number!

After you bring them home, just spread newspaper all over a big table, dump them out and get busy eating. My youngest is finally old enough to peel his own...so I'm looking forward to taking care of just myself this year.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
86 reviews
132 helpful votes
5. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

Yes, crawfish and crawfish boils are definitely better experienced in groups. It's hands on, messy and lots of fun!

I'll never forget my high school graduation senior luncheon, where they literally brought in a CANOE filled to the brim with crawfish into the main auditorium foyer and had us dig in. One of the best lunches ever!

Lampasas, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
65 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

And I have a tack-on question regarding crawfish:

Is there a 'crawfish season'? Well, I guess what I really want to know is will they be available in October when we come visit?

(7 months to go--and I can't wait!!!)

Lampasas, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
65 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

And I have a tack-on question regarding crawfish:

Is there a 'crawfish season'? Well, I guess what I really want to know is will they be available in October when we come visit?

(7 months to go--and I can't wait!!!)

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

I've been to a cajun crawfish boil. They had a table made of stainless steel. It was about 4'x8', the edges of the table turned up about 4 inches and it had a few draines about the table. They dumped what looked like the bottom half of a 55 gallon barrel straight from the flame onto the table, crawfish, corn on the cob, poatoes and crabs. There were 10 people to a table. Everyone just dug in. alot of places around the Quarter will have their type of boils, just follow your nose.

Also a good place to try a crawfish dish is at Coop's. They have a cajun pasta that has everything in it (very good).

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
122 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

You can get some early crawfish in December (small) and they become more scarce getting into June so I guess you could estimate the season December through June with the peak being March, April, and into May.

Lampasas, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
65 reviews
23 helpful votes
10. Re: What does a crawfish taste like?

Oh Darn...I'm gonna miss it---but I'll just have to plan a second trip during crawfish season!