We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Husband and I will be coming to New Orleans for first time May 17-22. We will be staying at Drury and driving in from Illinois. We are looking for good eats, good drinks and to see the sites. Our budget is about $30 a meal. Where do you recommend to get great food for a great price. Where do the locals go? What are the best place to hit on the French Quarter for drinks and entertainment? Would love any suggestions. This will be a first time trip away from our 8 children and looking to make the most of it.

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Central Grocery for lunch - share one muffuletta, it's huge and it's more than enough for two

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

There are reasonable places to eat in the French Quarter. Napoleon House for muffalettas is my favorite, it has good food and great atmosphere. Clover Grill is open 24 hours and has burgers cooked under hubcaps, also wonderful omelettes. Pat O'Brien's restaurant has decent burgers and is very reasonable. You can eat beignets at Cafe DuMonde for practically nothing and then splurge a little more on lunch or dinner. Port O'Call is reasonable, it is on Esplanade. Johnny's on St. Louis is an inexpensive place for a good breakfast.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Petunia's on St. Louis has huge breakfasts and lunches. I have a hard time finishing my meal and I'm a big boy.

The Deja Vu on Conti will give you a cheap meal and probably some cheap thrills as you people watch.

Yo Mama's has great burgers with any kind of topping you can imagine, served with huge baked potato. Great gumbo too. I think it's on St. Phillip, but I might be a street off.

I also really like Oceana, just a door off Bourbon. They will have someone on Bourbon with a menu directing you.

I used to enjoy Remoulade on Bourbon, but have been disappointed the last couple times I've been there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

To add to the list of good cheap eats in the Quarter:

1) Johnny's for po-boys too!

2) Acme Oyster House (Iberville St) and Deanie's Seafood (Iberville St) for New Orleans seafood at a reasonable price.

3) Liuzza's (Bienville St) - Creole/Italian food

4) Mulate's (on Julia St in Warehouse District) - Cajun specialities

Also, locals rarely eat in the French Quarter (only for special occasions or when visitors are in town). SInce you have a car, let me recommend some good places outside the quarter. All of my favorite New Orleans restaurants are NOT in the Quarter, so here we go for cheap eats.

1) Crabby Jack's (Jefferson Hwy, 15 min drive from Quarter) - my favorite restaurant in New Orleans is Jacques-Imo's, which can get pricey ($20-25/entree), but the restaurant has opened a nice, cheap lunch spot with some of the same food you get at the restaurant (Crabby Jack's) - huge po-boys too!

2) D*ck and Jenny's - for a nice dinner that isn't too expensive, try D*ck and Jenny's on Tchoupitoulas.

3) Domilise's Po-boys (Annunciation St) - serving arguably the best po-boys in the New Orleans area

4) Casamento's (Magazine and Napoleon) - try the oyster loaf! fantastic!

5) Ignatius Eatery (Magazine and Napoleon) - only New Orleans/Louisiana food served, classics like shrimp and crawfish etouffee and gumbo

6) Camellia Grill (Riverbend, corner of St. Charles and Carrollton) - a greasy hole, but has a lot of history and serves GREAT pecan waffles :)

A couple reasonable recommendations near your hotel (within 5 min walk):

1) The Store (Gravier St) - good sandwiches and other specials (www.thestoreneworleans.com/)

2) Singha Thai Cafe (Carondelet, off Poydras) - there's not too many late night food spots in the CBD, but if you want a later dinner, here ya go (open Mon-Fri)

baltimore MD
Level Contributor
264 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Coop's Place on Decatar is very good, reasonable prices and a great cajun menu........though when I was there during mardi gras the jambalya seemed spicier than I remembered......whew! Their menu is online if you want to take a look..........

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

You can click my name to find more details where I've replied to this previously but here's a brief follow up;

Coop's on Decatur, very good, average about $10 per person.

Yo'MaMa's on St Peter, burgers & gumbo, very good, less than $10 per person.

Frank's on Decatur, very good, their muffeletta (round sanwich), about $10 each and will fill 2 or 3 average people.

You also have a lot of fastfoods on canal, Popeye's, McD's, Arby's, a Subway off Canal on Royal.

For a good (not great) steak try Country Flame @ Exchance and Iberville, $11 ribeye & $14 t-bone.

Tropical Ilse just across from the Bourbon Ramada on Bourbon has a Taco Salad that will fill 2 for $10, I like it on occasion.

The Lucky Dog street venders hot dogs for $5 are great.

You can beat Krystal's 3 egg breakfast for $5, on Bourbon at Canal.

illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Thank you all so much for all your replies. Can't wait to eat our through New Orleans!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Worldtraveler provided an excellent list. I'd like to add one of our favorites, Lola's on Esplanade.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

pat o'brien's is the best palce to drink in the quarter. domilise's has the best po boy in town. both places have reasonable prices. enjoy your visit!

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to New Orleans Best places to Eat/Drink on a Budget

Ugly Dog Saloon is within walking distance in the CBD. Good food with good prices.