We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

Hi, I'm trying to plan my wedding in New Orleans next year and looking for a hotel for 5 nights preferably in the French Quarter. I'm having trouble deciding, there are so many hotels.. we are looking for somewhere with excellent service and location and where the rooms are a decent size!

Also, if anyone local can recommend any sites for planning weddings in NO that would be great...

Thank you!

Lafayette IN
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

My cousin was married in NOLA three years ago and they used Le Pavillon and they can't say enough about the excellent service. It's not in the French Quarter, but it's right on the streetcar line and not far away. The two hotels actually in the quarter that people seem to be impressed with are the Monteleone and the Omni Royal Orleans. I know at Le Pavillon they had a rooftop brunch after the wedding that was fabulous. It really depends on what you're looking for. Are you just looking for a place to stay, or are you actually going to be having a reception etc. at the hotel? I was in NOLA about 3 weeks ago and stayed at the JWMarriott. It was recently rennovated so the rooms and common areas are very nice and clean, and the service was good, but if you're looking for real NOLA flavor this isn't the place. I picked it because it's on Canal, just across from the French Quarter so we could walk around easily and because I thought they had a nice pool. The pool actually turned out to be small and cold and not great. This is a nice hotel, but it could be a nice hotel in any big city; it's much more of a corporate feel. Anyway, I have no personal experience with Le Pavillon, but I can tell you they got rave reviews from my aunt and uncle on being so easy to work with and endlessly helpful. They always stay there when they go to NOLA. They really love it. It's right on the St. Charles streetcar line so you can always hop a streetcar to the quarter. Good luck and happy wedding!

Level Contributor
153 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

Try the St. James Hotel with its closeness to the Board of Trade. It has great courtyards, a great wedding consultant, and the hotel is fabulous

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

Thanks for the info - change of plans though! We're now getting married in Dublin and going to New Orleans for the honeymoon so I'll look into those hotels for that.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

This board really trashes the Hotel Royal, but I'm a huge fan of HR (I've stayed there a number of times). The only rub is you should stay in one of their 'new' rooms. The $100 per night old rooms would kill the honeymoon mood. Splurge and stay in the new rooms, and you're golden.

I also think the Dauphine Orleans is rather romantic.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

A fourteen foot travel trailer can be romantic on a honeymoon!

Go with the hotel or B & B that is the most highly regarded by tripadvisor correspondents, and that offers the best rate at the time of your travel.

Be leery, of "charming"...One person's idea of charming will be another's idea of a hovel. Honest.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

I agree with the last poster. If coming a long way for a wedding (and bringing other people along) I would stick with tried and true places rather than peoples personal charming favorites. Here's a list of larger good hotels in no particular order (most of them are Triple A 4 Diamond and Mobil 4 Star Hotels):

Omni Royal Orleans

Le Pavillon - another poster mentioned this one already, but it is a little further from the FQ than their response implied. It's about 6 blocks from the FQ and it's not on the St Charles Ave. streetcar line (it's about 2 blocks from it).

Hotel Monaco

Royal Sonesta

JW Marriott

Loews Hotel

Ritz Carlton

Windsor Court

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

I guess the romance is where you make it. I've stayed at several places in the FQ that I thought was very romantic.

I stayed in the Sheradon on one of its higher floors. We had a glass wall that over looked the river and the city. The veiw at night was fantastic.

The King room at the Ambassador was great. There are 2 areas in the hotel, one toward the FQ (the left)and 1 away from it (the right). The side away from it is the best, the other side gets below average reveiws. It's like 2 totally different hotels on the inside.

I just returned from a stay at the Bourbon Orleans. They have rooms on the ground floor that have doors that open to the pool area. After an evening of touring the FQ my wife and I had a midnight swim direct from our room, very nice.

There are more if you are interested, The Jazz Quarters B&B, The Hotel Villa Convento, etc.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Hotel - Can someone help??

Le Pavillon is a really wonderful hotel. My wife and I (we both live in New Orleans) stayed there the night of our wedding, before leaving town on our honeymoon, and it was perfect. i highly recommend it.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor