We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Hours in New Orleans...Advice Needed

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
3 Hours in New Orleans...Advice Needed

My husband and I (mid forties) will be driving from northern Alabama to Houston, and we want to stop in New Orleans to visit the French Quarter even though we can only spend 3 hours or so there. It will be midday on Sunday 10 Feb. Any advice on how to best spend our limited time will be greatly appreciated.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Hours in New Orleans...Advice Needed

If it's not raining, park at the French Market, see the newly renovated market, and walk to Jackson Square (St. Ann St.). Continue along St. Ann and to Royal Street for some wonderful shops and art galleries. My favorites are Vive la France (823 royal)and the Hanson Gallery. Stop at the Carousel Bar at the Montelone Hotel for a break and a drink. If you want to see Bourbon St., it's just one block away. Otherwise, head back towards the French Market and have a quick bite at Coop's on Decatur -I recommend the po-boys, gumbo, and rabbit & sausage jambalaya.

If it's raining, dress nicely (jacket required) and have a leisurely lunch at Galatoire's on Bourbon (ask to be seated downstairs, even if there's a wait).

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
75 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Hours in New Orleans...Advice Needed

I have to say that jweverly's post is pretty much the perfect suggestion for 3 hours.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Hours in New Orleans...Advice Needed

I would photocopy a map of the French Quarter and drive up and down each and every block. I would drive uptown on Magazine, Prytania or St. Charles and catch a meal at Commanders Palace for Brunch or anything along the way. St Charles will take you to Carrollton and Carrollton will take you back to I-10 East or West.

Camilia Grill for authentic New Orleans quick menu items and a touch of the Old South (Carrollton and St.Charles)http://www.atneworleans.com/body/camelliagrill.htm

St. Charles has the street cars and so does Canal. To me, the best Po'Boys are "Johnny's", in the French Quarter. Closed on Sundays at 511 Saint Louis St,New Orleans, LA 70130 (504) 524-8129 but maybe someone else will read this and get some good cookin'.

Mother's Restaurant on Poydras at http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/menu.htm Another good, quick eating experience and far less than Commander's.

These are all quick (1 hour or less) places but are a New Orleans staple.

4. Re: 3 Hours in New Orleans...Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 19, 2009