We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Aussie's First Trip To NO

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
An Aussie's First Trip To NO

Hi,

I'm a 35 year old male and I'll be traveling to New Orleans from Australia from 12th - 15th February and am interested in seeing a few of the sites, experiencing some nightlife and sampling some great food.

As I'm traveling alone, I was hoping to get some tips on places to go that won't be intimidating for a solo traveller.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

Glad you are visiting us! I think you'll find this to be a very fun-oriented, non-judgmental place and will fit right in whether solo or in a group. I personally like to eat at the bar in restaurants when travelling solo and you'll feel very welcome doing so. In short, don't worry about your solo status and have a great time. You'll probably find that Aussies are especially welcome here and there should be no shortage of folks to chat with.

Have you a hotel in mind?

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

Yeah, I'm staying at the Bourbon Orleans in the French Quarter. I believe it's pretty central and with only a few days in town, I wanted something close to most of the main restaurants / bars etc

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

hi steve, you seem to be going to a couple of the same places as me las vegas and new orleans upto now, let me know where your going, tips you pick up etc. i am going to usa in sept/oct las vegas, san antonio, new orleans, orlando and florida keys, san fransico and then down the coast to la.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

The Bourbon Orleans is one of my favorites.

Just slightly a block away just off Bourbon on St Peter is Yo Mama's. It's a bar that serves food. I've yet to find better gumbo in the Quarter than what they have.

Just off Bourbon at Iberville is ZydeQ (behind the Bourbon Cowboy). They have the best rosted dry rubbed chicken that I've found.

At the far corner of the block also on Iberville is Deanie's Seafood. It is better than average, reasonally priced and they have several items that are great.

Again just off Bourbon on Conti I think is Oceana. They have VERY good inexpensive seafood.

There is a good mexican place on Exchange between Ibreville and Benville, Jazz Taco.

You will have to depend on a few others here to refer you to the "fine" dining.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

You'll be here during the warmups to the NBA All-Star game. Should be fine although I hope the "bad element" that ruined the game last year in Vegas doesn't come here!

N.O. is an easy city for solo travelers, I think. Very friendly people and lots of restaurants with bar areas in which to dine. I prefer this when traveling solo.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

Some great tips above thx. I'm looking forward to trying some local dishes so I'll definitely try a few of the above.

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

Hi Mate

I went to NO last year (March). Drove from LA to NO. I stayed in the Hotel St Marie on Toulous. Brilliant city,lovely people and great hotel. I am 56 yo male and had no issues at all. Did the Natchez cruise, spent every night around Bourbon St. Didn't use the car for the 5 days I was there. If you are driving try and incorporate a trip across Lake Pontchartrain -absolutly awesome. Had a good look around the Katrina damage (v sad). If you have time go and see Eric at the Bastille Internet Cafe on Toulous- nice bloke, loves a chat & is a mine of information. If you want to see some photos I took check out http://picasaweb.google.com/TimAus04.

Anyway enjoy your trip. I did.

Cheers

Tim

8. Re: An Aussie's First Trip To NO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 13, 2009