We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

1 post
Save Topic
My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

We are wondering when a good time to visit would be. We would love to be there for Mardi Gras. The crowd just seems like it would be overwhelming.

Is there another time of year that would be great fun. We are not a great lover of Jazz either. A little bit of it can go a long way. Sorry

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

Weather-wise = late April/early May along with late September are my favorite times. Warm but not overly humid. Perfect weather to leisurely stroll from bar to boutique store to restaurant etc......

But obviously there are numerous ways to pick the time to go (not just by weather). My wife and I have gone numerous times during the Christmas season and have had wonderful times (last year was rather anomolous with the snowfall on Christmas day -- it's usually about 50-55 degrees in the day during the Christmas season). The crowds are a little less during that time - about what you'll find on a non-event July/August week when the hot and humid summer drives people away. No matter what time of the year, however, there will always be other people visiting and plenty to do. You probably want to check out neworleansonline.com to find when specific events will be happening in order to attend (or conversely avoid) specific events.

USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

Hi Mike, Millhouse is right about late Sept. We were there last year, and the weather was absolutely glorious. It's the most comfortable we've ever been in New Orleans. It was great for sitting on the patios, etc. Also, some of the entertainment which is spotty in summer was back, such as Le Chat Noir Caberet on St. Charles Ave., which we really enjoyed. New Orleans and Bourbon Street have a "happening" atmosphere all the time, so no matter when you go, you'll have a great time.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

Best weather times, Spring, Fall, Winter. your first visit probably should NOT be Mardi Gras. A great time is Halloween, all the fun, less crowded. Good in winter too, I escaped the PA winters myself to move here. It sometimes gets a little chilly, but nowhere NEAR as cold as good old PA! Although, most locals seem to be freezing, while I'm still running around in shorts, LOL.

Berwick, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

Two Northeast PA gals will be visiting in mid-August. I have been there several times, and absolutley love the town! My travel mate has never been but is excited to be going because of the way I've raved.

We're not too concerned about the heat and humidity, because we will have a pool at our hotel, most buildings are air conditioned, and last but not least, there should be enough liquid refreshment available to keep us cool!

See you soon New Orleans!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans.

Hey shay204,

I always love to hear about NOLA visitors from back home in PA. Hope you have the best trip ever! loveNola