We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

I will be traveling to NO in January for the first time and will be proposing to my girlfriend. I want to stay in the FQ or at least very close to it. The Ritz($225) and Monteleone($200) cost a little more than I want to pay but I haven't rules either out. Question is, I have found Omni Royal, Omni Crescent, and Fairmont all for around $175. Which of these is best and why?would it be worth it to pay more for Ritz or Mont? I have almost decided on Omni Royal(location).

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

I have stayed at the Omni Royal, it's very nice. It is in the middle of the FQ central to everything. I can't compare it to the other places you mentioned because I haven't stayed at those yet. The Ritz appears nice I've been in it a time or two. The Monteleone apprers nice, I'm staying there this summer. For such a special occasion I figure you would be looking for something extra special while trying to maintain a budget. Check out the Victirian Inn B&B, it is suppose to be one of the top 10 in the US. Look on the internet for the best B&B's in the US. I found it there last year and am planning to check it out on my anniversery.

MS
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

We love staying at the Omni Royal - it is very nice and the location is great - you are close enough to what is going on in the French Quarter, but it is quieter than most. We have stayed their several times and have never had a bad experience. Staying there this weekend!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

Out of the five you mentioned, I would throw out the Omni Crescent and the Fairmont (the Fairmont could be a great hotel, but they have a lot of work to do to get there - for now, you'll want to skip it unless you're getting a suite).

As far as the other 3 go:

The Omni Royal has the best location, but unless you get a certain level of a room, you could end up in a room that is just too small for two people (especially for this type of occasion). Check with them to see what room you'll get for that price.

The Ritz is great and you can be certain of what you'll get - a great room and very good service. It's located along Canal and is just a few short blocks from where all the fun in the FQ is. Only problem (if you choose to look at it that way) is that there is nothing especially "New Orleans" about the Ritz).

The Monteleone is nice and they are undergoing renovations (they're probably done actually). This is also an excellent choice if the price is right.

Out of those three, my preference would be:

1) Ritz

2) Omni Royal

3) Monteleone

You might also want to look into these 2:

A. Soniat House -- on a par with the Ritz (Zagat and most guides have it ranked the number 2 hotel in town) but a very small hotel -- it has a very New Orleans feel to it.

B. You could also look into the Windsor Court (ranked number 1 by every magazine/guide out there). The problem might be in finding a comparable rate at the Windsor Court.

Aliquippa, PA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

My vote is "other". We go to New Orleans about 4+ times a year and our favorite place is the Hotel Monaco. The rooms are beautiful, it's only a couple blocks to the French Quarter, and they are VERY attentive to every request. It's the only place we'll stay when we go there. We're going to be there over Thanksgiving, and they've already made sure everything is perfect for us upon check-in: pillow-type, morning paper...etc. You couldn't ask for a better hotel. Check them out. They have pictures online as well. Congrats on the upcoming engagement! :) -Heather. Pittsburgh, PA

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

We just got back from NO today, and we stayed at the Omni Royal. We were VERY pleased with the hotel..everyone was very nice and accommodating and the location is absolutely perfect....When we got there we told them we were celebrating our 1 year anniversary and they gave us a free upgrade (originally had a queen room, got the king room), which I would recommend because when we saw the other rooms they looked tiny. Highly Recommend, would definitely stay there again. good luck:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

The Monaco's location isn't nearly as good as the Omni Royal Orleans, the Ritz and the Monteleone, which are in the Quarter. I'd pick one of the three.

The Monaco also apparently has serious issues with their water temps. Check tripadvisor.com's reviews.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

The Omni has a pool, court yard and hot tub on the roof with an observation deck that has a great veiw ( for 5 floors). it's right across the road from the building where they did the court room scenes (and others) from "Runaway Jury".

MN
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

We have stayed at the Monteleone for the last two years in August for our wedding anniversary. We had great rooms both times, high floor, river view. For the price and location, I don't think it can be beat, as long as you do not have a standard room (we have stayed in superior, deluxe, and suite). There is a rooftop pool and fitness center, as well as a unique carousel bar (even if you don't stay there, go to the Carousel Bar just for the fun of it). We have been very pleased with the amenities and service we received at the Monteleone. Don't miss the gumbo yaya at Mr. B's Bistro right across the street.

Mobile
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

I think Heather may be right. My two favorites right now are the Monaco--luxurious and upscale--and sometimes have good rates. Also, I love the International HOuse just around the corner. It's relaxing yet sexy, very hip and really cool bar. Both of these are just across Canal from French Quarter. If you really have your heart set on the FQ, I say the Monteleone. It's been beautifully renovated and is right in the middle of everything. Omni is great, but the rooms can be VERY small. I have to say, this Ritz is not the best of the Ritz properties.

Congratulations and have a blast.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposing to girlfriend so FQ Hotel question, Omni...

Thanks guys. This has been a big help and I have decided to go for a suite at Omni Royal. Bigger room and good location. I got a suite at Omni for the price of the smallest room at Monteleone. Thanks again