We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for malcom57

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
for malcom57

Please read my response to the COPS episode on the post entitled "Must see TV" by "tessky".

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: for malcom57

I read your post, and when I think about that cops program I saw most of the people being arrested were not from New Orleans. They were people who thought they could do what ever they wanted to do there. In fact, the police asked several of the offenders if they would do what they were doing in their town, and they said no. Maybe what New Orleans needs to do is to get our the word more through advertising that New Orleans is more liberal than most cities, however the rule of law still applies, and it will be enforced. That way the perception of the city will change, and it won't be a magnet for trouble makers.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: for malcom57

NOLA is not a magnet for troublemakers. Problems occur when SOME people over indulge and some visitors here sometines tend to do that. Just like kids on spring break or Times Square on New Year's Eve, which being from the northeast, I have experienced many times. Some people come here for the express purpose of dropping their inhibitions and for the most part, that's fine. However, there are those extremely rare occasions when someone goes to far, it's just plain human nature. Unfortunately, THOSE are the things that are reported on the news and shows like COPS. Oh and regarding the garbage issue, there are only a couple of alleys in the French Quarter, so consequently, business have to put their trash bags on some of the side streets for pick-up which just happened to be where this old episode of COPS was filmed. I saw the trash too and was just waiting for someone to mention it here, LOL!

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: for malcom57

As long as New Orleans is in denial the problem won't be solved. It is to my astonishment that a city so dependant on tourism would allow such a condition to continue.

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: for malcom57

The problem with cleaning up the crime in New Orleans must be poor leadership. New York had a huge crime problem until Mayor Gulianni got serious about the problem and cleaned it up. That is what needs to happen in New Orleans.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: for malcom57

What "denial" and "condition" are you referring to? As far as being dependEnt on tourism, they keep coming year after year many are return visitors, there must be something here that attracts millions of people from all over the world. I returned numerous times before choosing to relocate here.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: for malcom57

Where ARE you getting your crime statistics from? There is no more crime here per capita than in any other city of comparable size. The crime that does exist is the same type of crap that happens in every other city in this country, it is NOT directed, in any way, at tourists.

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: for malcom57

I have read that per capita little New Orleans has the highest crime rate in these United States. Higher than Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, and Miami to name a few. The highest in the nation. It is a shame that such a beautiful city. Is being run by people who won't solve the problem. In addition, I have read in other post on this very site that you have to restrict your movement within the French Quarter to just a few blocks. Like I said denial never works. Admitting and solving the problem does. Don't you think it is time you thank all the tourist that visit your wonderful city by making sure they are protected and don't have to be subject to hooligans.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
New York
New York
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: for malcom57

Where EXACTLY have you read these crime stats? It is not true that "you have to restrict your movement in the Quarter" or anywhere else in New Orleans for that matter. I am a middle aged woman who frequents the Quarter, sometimes ALONE, day or night and have NEVER, NOT ONE TIME, had any problem whatsoever. I am, however, a survivor of crime from OTHER cities in this country, ironically, one that you mentioned. I'm sure I probably appear to be an easy mark, but trust me, I am not. Having lived in cities that are overwhelmingly more dangerous than this, I am quite proficient at defending myself, but have NOT ONCE ever had the need to do so here in New Orleans. I love tourists and have the opportunity to interact with them frequently, I was one myself not so long ago. Millions of people would not keep coming back here time after time if they felt threatened in any way and were not having a wonderful time. To continue defending this most fantastic city is absurd and certainly quite unneccessary. Enough said.

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: for malcom57

This is a site the New Orleans Police Dept. has about safety in New Orleans.

http://www.nopdonline.com/tips.htm

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: for malcom57

Living in constant fear must be awful. I pity you.