We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

I'm new here. Started reading all the great posts about Dallas and New Orleans when I had trips scheduled. Your posts were so helpful and fun.

I just got back from my 2nd jaunt to NO last evening. It was an even better trip than the first because my husband was with me this time. We had a great time and fantastic food. The redfish topped with lump crab meat at the Bourbon House (in the Astor Crowne Hotel) was the best fish I've ever had!

The shrimp/oyster po boy at Phillipes was so delicious....sigh.

All our meals were great. The city is a treasure and we will be back! Even pondered moving there...in a moment of "what if".

But, I felt compelled to share with fellow travellers what happened our last night. I really thought about IF I should post this...I don't want to sway anyone from going to such a great city....But, I wouldn't feel decent if I didn't give a "heads up".

After that fabu meal at the Bourbon House (the wait staff was great as the food)...We were so happy. My husband had had 2 big drinks and was very up and enjoying the bustle on Bourbon Street. We love a crowd and the flavor of an interesting culture.

I felt a sharp sting on my butt. A BAD sharp sting. I turned quickly...I thought someone had stuck me with a needle.

Things happened quickly...my husband saw another woman turn in shock. He realized that this thug was snapping a cloth with a nail in it at some of the women.

My husband clocked this arse and the other guy that came after him.

You should have seen the look on those two jokers faces. They were both around 20. My husband is 50, a bit overweight and grey. (Handsome as hell, though!)

Unfortunately, his shoulder started to dislocate (an old problem) and he had to retreat. As he backed up he tripped on the curb. As he went down those thugs got a few licks in.

A nice young guy got involved and got their attention off my husband. For a moment I thought there was going to be a total fracas (I think that's the word). Started getting all racial. I hate to say it...but people were starting to shove each other, just because they were one race or another. It was horrid and bizarre. I was screaming like a banshee because I WANTED attention deflected from my husband. Actually my screeching shocked people back into reality. I think.

I could go on and on about what happened next, but to put it briefly the 2 thugs followed us, chased us...I kept begging my husband to call the cops...after the 3rd encounter, 5 blocks away....we finally ran like animals into the Marriott (I think). The thugs walked by as the hotel locked down and were ID'd by alot of the staff. The police were very nice. Undercover detectives set off to find the creeps. We never got a call that they were found.

My husband has a chipped pelvis, slight dislocation of the shoulder, a bit of kidney brusing...plus he was cut with the nail/cloth thing on the face.

Sorry, I guess I'm venting now. This was just surreal and very, very scary.

Now, my point: No matter how tough a guy you are, if someone hurts your girl/wife just get out of the immediate area and call the police. They are well aware those scum are there.

Pls don't fight them. They have weapons. They would slit your throat without a thought....and your life is much to valuable.

Just keep moving and call the cops.

Hope this is not too much of a downer. Just don't want anyone else getting hurt.

We WILL be going back to NO. We love the people, the attitude, the food, the diversity, the charm...everything. Sometimes crap happens. You deal with it.

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

I just finished watching Cops. They had a 1 hour special on New Orleans, and what I saw was unbelivable. It was shot during Madi Gras, and the place looked filthy. There was garbage all over the streets. The cops where arresting people comitting all types of crimes. The atmosphere looked like a riot waiting to happen. I don't know if this is an accurate representation of New Orleans, but after reading your post I am wondering if it is.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

Elmoish - sorry for your horrible experience, have never heard of the nail thing before. What is purpose of it? To try & shock you & then grab purse?

Malcom57 - just a question regarding Mardi Gras filth, what does Time Square/Ny streets look like on New Years Day after the big celebration? (Not knocking NY just only large street party I can think of off top of head that is well known to everyone)

If you have that many people in such a small area partying there is bound to be "garbage all over the streets".

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

testy you may be right, but how can one feel safe in that enviroment. This lady was in the middle of a crowd you think some of the people would have held the criminals until the police arrived. Instead, she describes that the incident got worse and turned racial. They ended up getting assulted two or three more times by the same guys. That is terrible.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

Elmoish, sorry about your bad experience. In many years of living here, I've never seen or even heard of anything similar. That is truly a terrible thing to have happen to you and as a New Orleanian I am sorry. I give you a huge amount of credit for wanting to come back as I would be "gun-shy" had it happened to me. Bravo to you.

We met friends for dinner and a show tonight. Had a nice night strolling the streets, enjoying cocktails and the fairly breezy weather and just soaking up the experience. It's a great time of year here.

As for "Cops" or any other TV show, if you truly think it's an indication of the entire city, please don't visit.

5. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:43 pm, May 29, 2005
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

That was an certainly an awful experience you wrote about. You say this happened on Bourbon St?

It is incomprehensible to me that these guys managed to attack several women, have "3 encounters with your husband, a nice young guy got involved, other people starting shoving, it got all racial", as you said, and during all this time not 1 cop intervened, wow!! Bourbon St. is always crawling with cops, uniformed and plain clothes, some are even on horseback. Your husband is 50, was injured and the attackers were, as you said, "around 20" and both of you were able to out-run the attackers? You also said the hotel you ran to was "locked down". Was this because of your attackers? They chased you for 5 blocks, you ran into the hotel, you reported the incident to the hotel, security managed to "lock down" the hotel and just then your attackers walked by? It must have taken the attackers a long time to catch up with you if the "lock down" was already in place by the time they reached the hotel? One must wonder what in the world these attackers stopped to do in the middle of chasing after you and your husband to allow enough time for you to report this incident to the hotel and have security put a "lock down" in place. You also said the "thugs were ID'd by a lot of the staff". Did the hotel staff witness the attack on you and that is how they could identify the attackers? I'm trying to understand the details of, as you said, this "horrid and bizarre" experience. I hope the "nail in the towel" never drew blood, that could be most dangerous!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

After re-reading this, I too am wondering why you didn't just go into the first bar and ask them to call 9-1-1? And to allow someone to follow you for several blocks wasn't the best course of action! Finally, what do you mean "lockdown?" I know two street kids "chasing" you didn't cause any huge reaction on the part of the Marriott! I'm just a little confused here.

Brooklin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

Are you trying to say her story is fabricated, or she doesn't like that segment of society that wear "Gold Teeth and Baggy Pants."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

I'm saying neither. Just trying to clarify some things!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Love NO but want to share something important re: safety

malcolm,

Not at all. Just trying to correctly understand the facts as presented above. Bourbon Street and the French Quarter are visited by thousands and thousands of people every night of the week, especially on weekends. There are cops everywhere. How and incident like this could go unnoticed by the police there and unreported to police immediately by even one single person in all of those thousands, over an area of several blocks defies logic. Regarding your comment about "gold teeth and baggy pants", obviously the person that posted those comments gives some consideration to these things in assessing other people or she would not have mentioned them here. I am a middle aged woman whose personal tastes do not include these particular fashion statements, but others are free to choose their own personal form of expression. Hey, "different strokes for different folks".