We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
483 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need a car?

We are thinking of going to NO for the Voodoo Fest in October. Not sure yet where we're staying, probably somewhere in the French Quarter? This is my first trip there.

Do we need a car? Anyone know about the shuttles for voodoo fest, best places to stay in French Quarter where we can catch a shuttle to voodoo fest and still walk around french quarter or whereever the nightlife is?

Trying to keep this trip as cheap as possible, we'll already be paying for plane tix, concert tix, and hotel (any recommendations for nice clean hotels for under $99/night?).

New Orleans Secrets Tours
Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Food Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Doctor Gumbo Tours
Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
La Vie Orleans Private Tours
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need a car?

If you want to get a hotel for the voodoo music fest, hurry on booking it because a lot of them are filled. Try the place d'arms if they have something, if you pre-pay there is a room with double beds for $103/night.

And no, I do not think you will need a car. The streets in the french quarter are so narrow and a lot of weird one ways streets it's not even worth bothering yourself over. Save the money and spend it on something more worthwhile, like hand grenades!

Central City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need a car?

I have driven to the French Quarter, and flown in, and I have to say that flying is the way to go. Not only would you not want to drive in that area, but by not having a car you avoid the cost of parking for a car you would not use.

Taxis are easy to come by, and I never felt ripped off by any. The trip from and to the airport from the FQ is a set amount, advertised on the cab, so don't be concerned about price gouging there. I kept the phone number for United Cab on my speed dial just in case, but we were able to get cabs everywhere on the street, or had the hotel call.

I cant reply to the shuttle question never having been to the Voodoo Festival. For your hotel question, the Place d'Armes is wonderful, as is the Hotel St. Marie. The St. Marie is very close to Bourbon without being ON Bourbon, and the Place puts you down in the Square. Can't say about the prices on them during that time, but, since average parking is around $25 or so plus tax, you can put that toward the cost of the hotel if you fly in.

Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need a car?

FWIW--I totally agree that a car in the French Quarter would just be in the way and expensive to park! The FQ itself is not all that big and you can walk, take streetcars, or get taxis. Don't know anything about voodoo fest.

River Ridge, La
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need a car?

the short answer is no, it costs more to park than to use taxis

5. Re: Do we need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 06, 2009