We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better?

Manahawkin, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better?

Anyone have an opinion on staying at the Wyndham Bourbon Orleans or the Hampton Inn NO-Downtown Hotels.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better?

"Better" depends on cost, where you want to be, etc. All things being equal, I'd definitely choose the Wyndham over any Hampton. Wyndham is a much nicer brand.

Long Beach, Ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better?

I've stayed at both. The Hampton Inn was on St. Charles in the Garden District. Nice, but like any other Hampton Inn. The Bourbon Orleans all New Orleans and is in an ideal location, between Bourbon St and the St. Louis Cathedral. You may or may not want a room right on Bourbon. It is noisy. But you can ask for a room on another side. When we stayed there it was in need of some refurbishing, but Wyndham has bought it and the website info seems to indicate that they have refurbished it. I'd stay there!

Isle Delfino SMW
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better?

Hampton Inn Downtown is on Carondelet Street, a short walk to cross Canal Street into FQ.

The rooms are unusually large with tall windows and ceilings, we would definitely stay there again but we liked The Monteleone even better.

Although it is only a couple of blocks to walk back to Hampton Inn from French Quarter, late at night it can be pretty quiet once across Canal Street. We were approached by ( harmless ) homeless folks several times over the course of seven days.

Staying at The Monteleone puts you right where everybody is walking around late into the night, so it felt a lot safer to return from say, Pat O' Briens late.

It wasn't so bad as to stop us staying again at Hampton Inn Downtown.

Haven't stayed at a Wyndham.